cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on wording

Benjamin_Crill
Level 3
My backup jobs are Full backups for SQL and Exchange. When I go to do restores, it lists as "Snapshot Full." Is there a difference between full and snapshot full or are they the same?
9 REPLIES 9

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Benjamin,

Can you please mention the exact error message ?
Are you using Advanced Open File Option during backups of SQL and Exchange ?
Since when you are getting this error ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Benjamin_Crill
Level 3
There are no error messages. Just when I go to do restores (for testing purposes) it is listed under the server as "Snapshot Full." I was wondering if I should be concerned about this or if that is the equivalent of a Full backup. We are using the AOFO.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you have the Exchange and SQL agents installed?

If not, you probably are not getting backups that will be worth anything in a Disaster Recovery situation, since snapshots are not designed to be used against databases.

Benjamin_Crill
Level 3
All I want to know, is Snapshot Full a true Full backup or not? This is for either files, SQL, Exchange, etc, etc. Yes or no?

Benjamin_Crill
Level 3
OK, now you spawn another question from me. I installed all the agents from the media server. From what it seems like I read in the admin guide, that does not include the Exchange and SQL agents. Is that correct or did that push install include. All my jobs complete successfully.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
You did it right. You pushed from the media server that has valid Exchange and SQL licenses. If you can see the databases in the file selection list you're good as gold.

Regarding the snapshot question- Sanpshots are great for regular files; especially if you have Microsoft Personal Folders (*.PST) files to backup. Regarding snapshots for databases, I would read the admin guide very carefully. There is a post in this forum regarding a gentleman who can't restore his Exchange snapshot backup to the Recovery Storage Group for example. Personally, I would disable the database sanpshots- and use the plain old vanilla agent backups that just plain old work (most of the time).

Benjamin_Crill
Level 3
Ray,

Thanks for the help! So I should not use the Open File option for Exchange?

Pardon all my questions. I am new to backup technologies, but they fascinate me with what all can be done. I appreciate everyone's help!

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

It is not recommended to use AOFO for exchange backups.
Hence if you are backing up exchange we recommend that you deseelct the AOFO option.

For more information on AOFO please see the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275975

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Benjamin_Crill
Level 3
What is the recommended method for Exchange backups then?