cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding Backup Exec 2010

nbacc
Level 2
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm interested in the product "Backup Exec 2010". But first of all I have the following question regarding it : - Is it possible to transfer the created backups to an external system (windows ? linux ?) within the software ? If so, how will this transfer be done (FTP, SSH, ... etc.) ? Unfortunately I couldn't find some information about this on the symantec website. Thank you in advance for your reply. Best regards.
8 REPLIES 8

CarolineKiel
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi,
Backup Exec can save backup data to either local storage or a network share. The question should be: why do you want to do this? Since Backup Exec is usually not located on the same server than the data is (except of small environments), the data is already "copied" (once on the original file server, once on the backup server).
Perhaps you want to write a little more details on what you want to do, so we can give you some hints on how to get there.

Regards,
Oliver
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

lhawthorne
Level 3
You can use the "Post Command" to run a batch file that has the FTP or SSH commands for transfering your backup files.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If you have something like a NAS, you can run your backups to a local disk (if you chose!), and then duplicate that job. The duplication job is run AFTER backing up your initial data, and this is configured from within Backup Exec.
If you take a look at the Admin guide on pg. 532, it explains it.
You can find the guide at the link below:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/338514.htm

nbacc
Level 2
hello, it's me again,

many thanks for your reply.

This will be a solution for a customer who wishes that the backups are saved on an external system in addition.

Is there an interface within the software on which such a transfer can be done ?
Maybe even at regular intervals ?

I'm sorry but we haven't used "Backup Exec" so far.

Thank you.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The is a new features introduced called RMAL   Backup Exec Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers.
refer the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/340035  Steps by step installation of the Backup Exec Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/331611

How to use the Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers and create a Virtual Tape Library with Backup Exec for Windows Server 12.5 and above.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Is there an interface within the software on which such a transfer can be done ?

Yes.  You can create a job to duplicate the data automatically.

Maybe even at regular intervals ?

Yes.  You can schedule the job to run at regular intervals.

CraigV
You can duplicate to a NAS...there are fairly cheap and robust systems out there. We have just started with an Iomega unit (ownevd by EMC, and they are now our strategic storage partner), and will be replicating to that.
No additional licenses to use the NAS, either backing up to it, or backing up from it.

CraigV

Hi,

Any news here?