cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best method of backing up Windows virtual servers on Hyper-v server R2?

prosenbaum
Level 2
Hi, All,
I am currently installing a Windows Hyper-v Server 2008 R2 host, with 3 Hyper-v guests, an SBS2008 server, a 2008 R2 Terminal Server (or should I say Remote Desktop Server) and a 2008 R2 SQL server.
What would be the best way to back up this system? I will have an LTO-3 tape drive, and external USB hard drive, and another (old) physical server will be available. Backup Exec 2010 and the Hyper-v agent are also ordered.
Is an additional server required in order to back up the system? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

From my side, if you are able to seperate your backups.
I took a look at the BE 2010 SCL (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329254.htm), and it doesn't appear that SBS 2008 R2 is supported as a media server installation with Hyper-V installed.
So...this is what I would recommend:

1. Use the other server as a media server for your backups. Connect the LTO3 drive to it, and load an OS on. Load all the agents you would need in order to back up the applications you run (SQL, Remote Agent for Windows Servers, AOFO, and the Hyper-V agent if you want to do GRT restores).

2. You then need to decide whether or not you want to back up your VMs completely, or just the data they contain. 2 sides to this: backing up your VMs will allow for faster DR recovery, as you would simply restore your VM from the last backup. The downside to this is that the LTO3 tape probably won't be big enough capacity-wise, meaning spanned tapes. The other consideration is to look at using your external disk. Run a backup of your VMs to the disk, and then run that data off to tape during the day with no impact on your VMs.
If you back up your data, consider creating a VM template of your servers. You would restore this, along with the System State of your various servers, and the data attached. The upside to this is faster data restores...the downside is slower recovery as you need to recreate VMs before restoring data!

3. What sort of backup strategy are you going to use? Full backups or incremental? If your data isn't too big, full will work.

Best bet is to also look at at the BE 2010 Admin Guide (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/338514.htm). It does a bit more explaining on the Agent for Hyper-V.

Post any further questions here...

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Hi there,

From my side, if you are able to seperate your backups.
I took a look at the BE 2010 SCL (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329254.htm), and it doesn't appear that SBS 2008 R2 is supported as a media server installation with Hyper-V installed.
So...this is what I would recommend:

1. Use the other server as a media server for your backups. Connect the LTO3 drive to it, and load an OS on. Load all the agents you would need in order to back up the applications you run (SQL, Remote Agent for Windows Servers, AOFO, and the Hyper-V agent if you want to do GRT restores).

2. You then need to decide whether or not you want to back up your VMs completely, or just the data they contain. 2 sides to this: backing up your VMs will allow for faster DR recovery, as you would simply restore your VM from the last backup. The downside to this is that the LTO3 tape probably won't be big enough capacity-wise, meaning spanned tapes. The other consideration is to look at using your external disk. Run a backup of your VMs to the disk, and then run that data off to tape during the day with no impact on your VMs.
If you back up your data, consider creating a VM template of your servers. You would restore this, along with the System State of your various servers, and the data attached. The upside to this is faster data restores...the downside is slower recovery as you need to recreate VMs before restoring data!

3. What sort of backup strategy are you going to use? Full backups or incremental? If your data isn't too big, full will work.

Best bet is to also look at at the BE 2010 Admin Guide (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/338514.htm). It does a bit more explaining on the Agent for Hyper-V.

Post any further questions here...

Laters!

CraigV

Hi,

Any news here...?