cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about System State Restore on a Domain Controller

Charlie_Kangas
Level 4
Greetings,

I am going through the procedure to do a System State restore on a Windows 2000 Domain controller and am not understanding a few things. There are more than 1 Domain Controllers in my domain so I would want the restore to be non authoritative.

1. The manual says three things:
a. That you should select the option for "Mark this server as the primary arbitrator for replication when restoring folders managed by the File Replication Service, or when restoring SYSVOL in System State.", and that if you do not select this option replication may not function.
b. It tells you that all restores of SYSVOL and FRS managed folders are non-authoritative.

c. If you have more than one DC and you want to do an authoritative restore you have to run the Ntdsutil utility.

d. It also tells you that an authoritative restore can be performed by redirecting the restore and then copying the files to the server.

So here are the questions:

1. If system state restores are non authoritative by default, why would I still need to select the "Mark this server as the primary arbitrator for replication" option, especially when I want the restore to be non authoritative anyway?

2. I believe the manual also says that system state restores can not be redirected and yet the manual says that you can do an authoritative restore this way. So which way do you do authoritative restores, via redirection or with the Ntdsutil utility?

3. Do you have to do a system restore separately from all other restores, or can it all be done at once(ie System State restore and restore of databases and other data files)?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this better. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Charlie,

1: No
2: Manual is wrong if it states you should redirect a system state restore. This is useful if you need to do offline registry eediting to recover one key or something, however you should perform an authoritative restore using ntdsutil
3: I advsie restoring System State and C:, then rebooting before restoring additional data.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Heres a document which could also be of help:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236286

thanks!

Charlie_Kangas
Level 4
OK now it clicks. I was confusing a system state restore with a disaster recovery restore. There is certainly some overlap between the two, but the procedures are different. Thanks for helping me clear that up.