cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RALUS unable to start on Linux 2.6

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi All,

I've just install RALUS from BE 2010 R2 by manually uploading it to the server and then extracting it followed by executing the install script.
after the install i deleted the extracted directory, when i go to my Media Server i cannot browse for this server eventhough i already put the IP address of this server.

here's my diagnostic regarding this error:

[root@bentley /]# /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init stop
Stopping Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent:                              [FAILED]
[root@bentley /]# /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start
Starting Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent ..............................
Starting Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent:                              [FAILED]
[root@bentley /]# ps -A | grep beremote
[root@bentley /]# /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start
Starting Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent ..............................
Starting Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent:                              [FAILED]
[root@bentley /]# uname -a
Linux bentley 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 #1 Tue Mar 14 15:48:33 EST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@bentley /]#

any kind of help and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This means that even if you get it working, you would not be able to log a support call with Symantec if there are problems later on.  Also, there is no guarantee that your backup can fully restore your server.  Basically, you are on your own on this one.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Symanticus
Level 6
I've read through:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277481.htm
 to start and stop the ralus service
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/268019.htm

but still no clue ?

do i need to restart the server after the agent install like in Windows ?

Symanticus
Level 6
here's the updated log file:

[root@bentley /]# netstat -a | grep 10000
[root@bentley /]# vi /var/VRTSralus/beremote.service.log
/opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What is the distro that you are using?  You should check that it is compatiable with BE 2010 R2.  See the SCL below

http://download1.veritas.com/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

Symanticus
Level 6
I'm using FC5 --> Fedora Core 5 i know it is old and I'm now struggling to search for this file compat-libstdc++-33
libstdc++.so.5

over the internet but no luck yet in googling around.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Note that this distro is not supported by BE 2010 R2

Symanticus
Level 6
ah.. ?

so if somehow i got lucky and found the file it will not be backed up properly by the Agent ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This means that even if you get it working, you would not be able to log a support call with Symantec if there are problems later on.  Also, there is no guarantee that your backup can fully restore your server.  Basically, you are on your own on this one.

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have maybe the solution for you but it is just a guess :

• You can install an older RALUS version !

For example, if you can install RALUS 12.5, BE 2010 R2 will simply complain with a warning, and you will be able to do your backups ! But FC is very old. I don't know which RALUS version could work.

But anyway, I think it's worth trying !

Or you upgrade your FC5 to a newer version ! But I know that will not help you ;)

Symanticus
Level 6

yes it is still working and browse-able, however the reason I'm doing this is to backup my old FC5 MySQL DB server and then performing new install, this is just in case something goes wrong i can always have roll back plan.

second reason is that there is no agent for MySQL.

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I see...

About mysql, I would say that you can do almost the same as an agent with :

1. A regular database dump with mysqldump to a file
  2. Backup of these files with RALUS just some time after this regular (daily, or 4 times a day...) dump

(Of course I think that's what you're already doing)

Symanticus
Level 6

Yes, that is what i do now here,

Thanks for all of the comments guys.