cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAWS Install Errors

Ken_Fuerstenh1
Level 3
I have 2 very problematic servers in my network that I simply cannot get RAWRS installed on. It is installing with the AOFO but it wont' install in either configuration. One machine is a NAS running Win2k Appliance, this machine simply reboots itself any time I either push the client or manually install the client on it. I've removed the registry entries, install dir, etc but this issue still remains. The other machine has Win2k3 Standard on it and when the install runs either remotely or locally it simply fails out with a 1603 error code. I've tried everything I could find in the KB to no end on either of these. Anyone have a step in the right direction?
9 REPLIES 9

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
When the push install fails, it is recommended to use the local silent install. The 1603 error you're getting during the local install is a fatal Microsoft Installer error. There may be some remnants of the previous attempted push installs or local installs that are preventing the local install from working. Use the Installer cleanup utility per TechNote http://support.veritas.com/docs/272082 and if there are any mentions of Backup Exec or the RAWS present, delete them. Then try running the local silent install per http://support.veritas.com/docs/265736 again.

Ken_Fuerstenh1
Level 3
I have run the MSI Cleanup util and found no instance of the client listed. I still removed all registry entries as well as the VERITAS directory, rebooted and ran the install locally. the NAS box still reboots when the installer runs and the other machine simply runs the install then exits immediatly without ever installing anything.

Jason_K
Level 4
Ken,

Please verify that you are logged on locally to the machine and not through terminal services. On the NAS device if terminal services is the only interface you have, this is fine.

Please verify the following items.

1. The System Account has Full Control to the local drive as well as the account you are logging on with.

2. Verify the installation files are local and you have full control to them

3. Clear out all of your temporary folders %tmp%, C:\temp, and C:\Windows\Temp

4. Verify all previous remote agents are removed.

Hope this helps.

Ken_Fuerstenh1
Level 3
Installing from the console instead of RDP fixed the issue on the 2k3 server. However RDP is my only answer for the NAS box. Any further ideas for this lovely piece of equipment?

Jason_K
Level 4
Ken,

Can you provide more information about the NAS device? Also if the server is crashing, is it creating a memory.dmp file? If so this is something that can be analyzed to determine what is casuing the crash.

Here are some suggestsions.

1. Logon locally NOT to the domain.
2. Copy the files local, and very system has full control to all the temp folders.
3. Stop all non-essential services
4. Verify you have full control to the install folder.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Jason

Ken_Fuerstenh1
Level 3
The NAS is a Dell PowerVault 715N. I believe there is something in the Installsheild that is screwed. If I try to install the Install cleanup util the install will fail with a fatal error and the system goes thru a shutdown/restart. It doesn't blue screen or dump, it actually exits gracefully like you clicked restart. This is the same behavior it exhibts when I try to install the RAWS client. Is there a way to repair the windows installer?

Jason_K
Level 4
Ken,

Try this Windows installer 3.0

Reference http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5fbc5470-b259-4733-a914-a956122e08e8&DisplayLang=en

Jason_K
Level 4
Ken,

Can you check the BKUPINST.LOG file for any error messages from the installation of the remote agent?

Jason

Ken_Fuerstenh1
Level 3
Sweet! That install fixed the issue. All is well now thanks much