cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading data written by different version of Backup Exec

be-nugget
Level 5

Few quick scenarios:

1. Data written on tape by 11d, can this be read by 12, 12.5 and 2010 version of Backup Exec?

2. Can data written by 2010, 12.5 or 12 be read by 11d version of Backup Exec?

3. Can LTO4 drives read and write on to LTO3 tapes? and still be read by LTO3 drives?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) LTO 4 drives can write to LTO 3 tapes and can read LTO 3 & LTO 2 tapes. LTO 3 tapes written by LTO 4 tape drive can be read by LTO 3 drive.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) LTO 4 drives can write to LTO 3 tapes and can read LTO 3 & LTO 2 tapes. LTO 3 tapes written by LTO 4 tape drive can be read by LTO 3 drive.

be-nugget
Level 5
Thanks Kiran, just wanted to find out as it could potentially save me a lot of time on a project I'm working on.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

2. Can data written by 2010, 12.5 or 12 be read by 11d version of Backup Exec?

For flat file info, almost certainly  BackupExec has alwasy used MTF (Microsoft Tape Format) As long as you don't use encryption you should be OK

For Agent Backups, probably, assuming the database version is supported by v11d at all

ie: you cannot restore Ex2010 with v11d

be-nugget
Level 5
Ken its actually simpler than that. I am just wanting to do some tape to tape duplicates and I wanted to know if the data that was originally written using 11d could be duplicated to another tape using something newer like 12.5 or 2010 then still be read by 11d

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've never tried it, but certainly sounds like it should work