cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently Upgraded Server - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

navigato
Level 2
I upgraded my BE 9.1 Server to version 10 yesterday. Platform is W2K3 Fully Patched, 2 tape libraries. I performed a manual backup of all catalogs and relevant data/ files before my upgrade.

The good: Upgrade went very smooth installer properly migrated general information, jobs, and catalogs.

The bad: Upon completion of the upgrade the BE Job Engine failed to start due to a logon failure. I simply re-entered the logon account's password and the service started fine. At the end of the day I rebooted the server to finish the installation in preparation for the night's normal jobs. Everything came up fine.

The ugly: Backup jobs started to process about 2.5 hours after the upgrade. The first thing I see in the application log this morning is an application crash -
Faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.0.5484.0, faulting module bengine.exe, version 10.0.5484.0, fault address 0x0010e5a3.
Subsequently all jobs failed with the error Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "MYSRV") (Job: "OTHERSVR1") OTHERSVR1 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

I have referenced a number of documents but none are relevant to version 10 yet.

I will see if the issue continues this evening.
3 REPLIES 3

navigato
Level 2
OK so to update the situation -
- Again the service credentials were not correct so by opening up the service control panel and re-setting the credentials for the services to the same account as before with the same password as before I have not since seen this issue.

- As for the remote clients - another set of troubles. While the documentation (and support techs) all say that version 10 will upgrade versions 8.X and newer I found the only successful push of the new RAWS (remote agent v.10) went to a server with a 9.1 RANT - 2 other servers each running verion 9.0 RANTs did not upgrade and in fact I had to manually uninstall the 9.0 clients becuase I no longer had the 9.0 MSI installer for them. One of these servers still will not accept the install of the RAWS due to an error only visible in the BKUPINST.log in the %systemroot% folder. The error is:
02-08-2005,18:24:51 : A fatal error occurred during installation on server 'SERVERNAME'.
02-08-2005,18:24:51 : ERROR: Installation failed with error 1603.
2 hours on the phone with support has not yet solved this issue.

- Cannot perform incrementals w/ snapshots on Exchange without Exchange service pack 1.

Everything else appears to be working normally.

Level 3
Did you use any documentation to do the upgrade? If so where can I find it?

Thanks

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
hello,

We apologize for the delay in response. Does the error still persist? Please update us on the status of the issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.