cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Storage Groups and Backup Exec

David_Burklin
Level 2
Hello,

Our company is just completing our Migration from Exchange 5.5 to 2003.

We have the need to perform our first restore on the 2003 server, for a user mailbox that was mistakenly deleted. The mailbox and user account have been re-created and are working, but the user needs her historical content back for her mailbox.

In looking for the best method to handle this, I discovered "Recovery Storage Groups". It sounds like this is the best way to go. I've looked at Microsoft's documentation on setting them up, and started looking at doing the restore.

I've got Backup Exec v10.0 (rev 5484) with the MS Exchange Agent. We are performing the backup across the wire. I looked at the Backup Exec help topics and found the topic "Restoring Exchange 2003 Data Using the Recovery Storage Group"

My big concern is that there doesn't appear to be anything in the restore function that says "Send this restore to the RSG instead of over-writing my Live Infostore"

How do I ensure that this happens. I can't risk over-writing our live user data with a week old backup.

Any advice would be much appreciated

~Dave~
5 REPLIES 5

Milin_Desai
Level 4
You could try this. Create the mailstore in RSG. Then redirect exchange to that new location. This is the best soltuion that comes to my mind as it would not affect your live store. Does that make sense?

MSFT I think did not have an interface a programmable interface to RSG till recently.

David_Burklin
Level 2
I kind of see what your saying, but the redirect option seems to want to point to a different server. There doesn't appear to be an option to specify which storage group... (or at least I'm not smart enough to find it)

Milin_Desai
Level 4
If you search under help. "Recovery Storage Group" they have a detailed process on how to go about the restore. As far as my understanding goes if you mailbox store is in the RSG it will automatically restore it to the RSG mailbox store location. thus it won't overwrite the live mailstore.

Try and follow those instrcutions and I think you should be set.

This is about RSG that vaildates the above point
"The Recovery Storage Group (RSG) feature in Exchange 2003 allows you to mount a second copy of an Exchange private mailbox database on the same server as the original database, or on any other Exchange server in the same Exchange Administrative Group. This can be done while the original database is still running and serving clients. This capability allows you to recover data from an older backup copy of the database without disturbing client access to current data. The RSG can also be useful in various disaster recovery scenarios, most notably the “messaging dial tone” scenario described in this document. "

Milin_Desai
Level 4
Some more reading on it. It says someting about re-created mailboxes in there which does not sound very positive. You should probably search this on the MSFR site too.

How Recovery Storage Groups Work

Before you begin using Recovery Storage Groups, you should have a general understanding of how they work, and what their limitations are.

The most important limitation on the use of a Recovery Storage Group is that the Active Directory topology of the Exchange system must be fully intact and in the same state as when the copy of the database was made. In practical terms, this means that the mailboxes you are trying to recover should not have been deleted and purged from the system, or moved to other databases or servers.

The RSG is usually not an appropriate tool when entire servers have been destroyed, or you are in an emergency situation that requires changing or rebuilding your Active Directory topology. The RSG is intended as a substitute for situations where previously you would have built an alternate forest recovery server, specifically:

•You want to recover deleted items for a mailbox that the user mistakenly purged.
•You want to recover or repair an alternate copy of a database while another copy remains in production (and, typically, with the final intent of merging data between the two databases with the EXMerge utility).

For security and data extraction reasons, original databases and mailboxes and the copies in the RSG are logically linked. Only databases that still exist in the Exchange organization can be added to a Recovery Storage Group. Further, mailboxes that are candidates for data salvage in an RSG must still exist in the original database location, and must not have been deleted and re-created.

When you delete a mailbox, unique identifying information is destroyed. A new mailbox with the same name or linked to the same Active Directory user account is not really the same mailbox as before. This is similar to what happens when you delete and re-create an Active Directory user account. Even if the new account has the same name, it is fundamentally a different account, and none of the security associated with the previous account will be inherited by the new account.

If you have purged a mailbox from its original database, you cannot use a Recovery Storage Group to salvage data from the mailbox. However, you can mount a copy of the database in an ordinary storage group to recover a purged mailbox. See the section How the RSG Links Back to the Original Database for more information about this.

To reiterate, Recovery Storage Groups are not designed for recovery from a general disaster involving multiple servers or storage groups. They are intended for recovery scenarios where:

•The logical information in Active Directory about the storage group and its mailboxes remains intact and unchanged, and
•Data recovery is required for a single mailbox, a single database or a group of databases in a single storage group.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Additionally refer to the following technote to understand the way RSG can be used:

Ttile: Restoring Exchange 2003 data using the Recovery Storage Group
http://support.veritas.com/docs/264815

In case of further queries, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.