cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recycled Media over Scratch Media?

Wayne_Moore
Level 2
I have an 8 slot autoloader and use 1 tape per day in slots 1 through 7 and want to have a 'spare' tape in slot 8 for the odd times when the backup job requires more than one tape.

I've configured 7 media sets and 7 backup jobs (1 media set and one job for each day). So Monday's job uses set 1, Tuesday set 2, etc. Then I place the tape from slot 8 in the scratch media set. Using Backup Exec 9.1 on Windows 2000 by the way.

I have the option 'Overwrite recyclable media in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media' set and overwrite protection set to none.

I only activated this new routine yesterday but last night the job started on the spare tape in slot 8, then overflowed on to the tape in the Tuesday media set when it should have happened the other way around. The backup completed successfully so it's not the end of the world but I need to get this right. I'm not sure if it's relevant but the spare tape in slot 8 was brand new yesterday.

I've read the Veritas articles 237374 and 192265 but am still a little confused. Obviously something has over-ridden the setting to use the media set I define in the job first.

Any ideas on how to make it take media from the media set specified in the job first?
3 REPLIES 3

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Was the job configured to Overwrite or append? Was the tue media overwriteable? What is the append period for the media sets?

In case you are using a blank media, you need to run an overwrite job first. A scratch media cannt be appended in the first job. So you can check the job properties and verify if it was an append or overwrite job.

Revert if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Wayne_Moore
Level 2
The job was an overwrite job.
The append period on the media set is infinite.

So I have two pieces of media - both have recently been labelled but one is in the Tuesday media set and the other is in Scratch media. The backup job is configured to use the Tuesday media set but instead decides to use the scratch media first. The scratch media only exists just in case the job needs more than one tape to complete.

The same thing has happened every day since so to me it looks like the logic in BE is screwed!

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Wayne,

Hence this is the first job you ran and no other jobs are run before. Thus, there is no recyclable media available in the media set.

When you run the job it will first search for the recyclable media and when it doesn't find that it will use which is available and that is scratch media.

To resolve this problem

Please create partitions on those 7 slots. Means 7 partitions on 7 slots.
Eg: Monday Job will use Monday partition, Tuesday Job will use Tuesday Partition and so on..

And you will have that 8th slot as a spare tape.

You can refer to the following document to create a partition.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/206843.htm

Hope this will help you.

Please revert in case of any doubts.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.