cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Dying Intermittently During Backup and Restore

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Greetings All,

While running a backup on either of my SQL servers in 11d, every once in a while a job will fail (backup or restore) with the following message:

Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred. Final error category: Server Errors <script language="JavaScript"> function Expand() { var srcElement = event.srcElement; if (event.srcElement.tagName != 'TH') srcElement = event.srcElement.parentElement; var child = srcElement.parentElement.parentElement.all[srcElement.getAttribute('child',false)]; if (null != child) { child.className = (child.className == 'COL' ? 'EXP' : 'COL'); if (event.srcElement.tagName == 'INPUT'){ event.srcElement.value = (child.className == 'COL' ? '+' : '-'); } else { for (var i=0;i'COL' ? '+' : '-'); } } } } } function ExpandAll(fromState,toState,image) { var th = document.all.tags('TH'); for (var i=0;i && (child.className != toState)) { child.className = toState; } } } function OnDocumentLoad() { var ua = window.navigator.userAgent; var msie = ua.indexOf('MSIE '); var bUpdateTables = false; if (msie) { var str = new String(ua.substring(msie+5, ua.indexOf('.',msie) +2)); if (str >= 5.5) { bUpdateTables = true; } } if (bUpdateTables) { var tbl = document.all.tags('TABLE'); for (var i=0;i{ b.className = 'EXP'; } b = document.all[btn]; if (null != b) { b.value = '-'; } } </script>

When I lok in the job log I find this:

<agent_started>Microsoft SQL Server Agent: Started</agent_started>
  <start_time>Restore started on 4/16/2008 at 5:13:46 PM.</start_time>
  <database />
  <database />
  <database />
  <end_time>Restore completed on 4/16/2008 at 5:14:13 PM.</end_time>
- <summary>
  <restored_databases>Restored 3 databases</restored_databases>
  <new_processed_bytes>Processed 1,623,970,060 bytes in 27 seconds.</new_processed_bytes>
  <vlm_hist_rateformat2>Throughput rate: 3442 MB/min</vlm_hist_rateformat2>
  </summary>
  <filler>----------------------------------------------------------------------</filler>
  </set>
  </machine>
  </restore>
- <footer>
  <filler>======================================================================</filler>
  <end_time>Job ended: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at 5:14:13 PM</end_time>
  <engine_completion_status>Job completion status: Failed</engine_completion_status>
  <filler>======================================================================</filler>
  <completeStatus>6</completeStatus>
  <errorDescription>Final error: 0xe000fefd - The media server has lost the network connection to the remote agent.</errorDescription>
  <errorCategory>Final error category: Other Errors</errorCategory>
  <umiOriginator>79</umiOriginator>
  <justErrorCode>-536805635</justErrorCode>
  </footer>
  </joblog>

I have all the latest Hotfixes and Service Packs installed and the latest Remote Agents pushed to all servers.  This happens in the middle of a backup or restore job.  When I look at the remote server I find the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service in a stopped state and must restart it in order to resume operations.  This is occurring intermittently on any of my SQL servers and is preventing me from reliably running SQL-based operations overnight, as any further processes die due to the fact that the Remote Agent service is stopped.

In this case I was attempting to Restore from a Backup 2 Disk device to a RAID0 array.  In other cases it will happen while backing up from a RAID5 array (different server and controller type) to tape or a Backup 2 Disk device.

All servers involved are running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2 with Xeon Quad Core CPUs and between 2-4GB RAM.

If anyone can provide some help that would be great, as this is making me wonder why I just paid $900+ for a SQL Server Remote Agent product if it isn't reliable.  Also if I can provide anymore useful information please let me know.

Best, Jack

2 REPLIES 2

Cesar_Ramirez
Level 4
Jack we once had a problem backup a new sql server that was added to the network. I dont remember the exact error message but the problem was the we needed to purchase an additional sql license.  Are you sure you enough licenses, and if so, one to backup a sql server?

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Hi Cesar,

As stated at the end of my post, I have purchased the SQL Remote Agent for my SQL server.  As a matter of fact, I'm wondering why I did that at this point considering it intermittently stops the service.