cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent Issues

TriadDigital
Level 3
HI!

We are running 11d (7170). I have pushed the remote agent to my Exchange 2007 server. This install goes as planned, prompts me to reboot. No matter how many times i uninstall/install/reboot, the BENT console on my backup server shows the agent service as "Not Installed" ALTHOUGH i can remotely start and stop the service from the console (strange?). I have tried all the little tweaks like copying the RAWS dir to the machine and doing a local install, changing around my network card configuration, etc. The funny thing is that the server has a CPS job running 100% but the paired backup job gives the error:

A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.

The service is currently "installed" and running using my backupexec service account. Any help you guys can offer would be super, please help me save my hair!! (whats left of it)

8 REPLIES 8

TriadDigital
Level 3
Anyone? I'm dyin over here!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
First off the remote agent service on the Exchange server should be running as Local System not an account.  Also make sure that the remote agent on the backup exec server is running as local system as well.

Now can you give a better explanation of the issue you are having and what you are trying to accomplish? As I am really not understanding where the problem is at this point besides the error in the pair logs.

TriadDigital
Level 3
I have tried the service using either, have the same problem. I will switch it back.

The problem is as i described...

I can open Backup Exec on my backup server, then go to "tools>backup exec services" and this is what i get:

And here is my mail server (service IS running) any thoughts??:

Message Edited by TriadDigital on 09-18-2007 07:36 AM

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
When you go to Tools - Backup Exec Services from inside of Backup Exec, this will show servers that have Backup Exec installed on them, not a Remote Agent or CPS.  As the Mail server does not have a complete install of Backup Exec installed on it, it is showing correctly.

TriadDigital
Level 3
OK -

Thank you for answering that. I am a typical n00b when it comes to Backup Exec. Now, the real problem i am having is that i continue to get this error with my job:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f9 - A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34041

I have followed every troubleshooting tip that there is for this, and nothing seems to work. As i stated before, my CPS is up and running perfectly but the paired job in Backup Exec continues to fail. I understand that CPS is completely separate from BE, but you would think if one product can communicate, the other would have no issues...

Here is my CPS running and grabbing data:

Let me know if you have anything for me other than whats posted on your kb, since none of that stuff has helped. Thanks again for the help!

TriadDigital
Level 3
Can anyone give me some direction? Much appreciated!

TriadDigital
Level 3
Still looking for some direction -

Allen_K
Level 6
Hi,

Sorry no one has been able to help you with your technical issue so far. Please note that this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum and not technical support.

Usually customers come to the rescue. Other times, when they are available, a Symantec employee will volunteer his/her time to find and help solve issues just like any other member of the community.

However, in this case, it looks like you might be better off contacting Symantec Support Services for 24/7 access to technical support professionals. You can also try using our Knowledge Base Search.

Hope that helps!