cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Failures on SBS 2003 With V-79-57344-3850 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Lee_Marsh
Level 3
Hello everyone,

I wonder if perhaps someone here would be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

For some time now, our backups have been periodically failing with the message V-79-57344-3850 - The media operation was terminated by the user. We are running Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition, and our daily backup backs up data, exchange mailboxes, SQL and active directory (system state etc).

Most of the time, the backup completes successfully on our DAT-72 drive, backing up and verifiying 21.5 GB in 2 and a half hours.

However, occasionally (once or twice a week), on random days, the backup appears to go very slowly. The backup starts at 11:30pm, and as it lasts about 2 and a half hours is done by 2am. However, in case someone forgets to backup or a bank holiday falls, automatic job cancellation kicks in after 8 hours (by 7:30 am) to ensure it is cancelled before the working day starts. When the backups are failing, it is never after the same amount of data or even the same type, sometimes it fails after backing up a couple of hundred MB of files, other times it's when it's backed up 19 GB of files and is in the middle of the Exchange backup.

We get a lot of "Media Insert" alerts prior to the cancellation also, even though the media is already in the drive and bits have been backed up. It's not always the same tape, and we overwrite all tapes we never append.

Hope this makes sense and hope someone might be kind enough to give me some assistance!

Cheers,

Lee
2 REPLIES 2

Terry_W
Level 3
When it fails and you go to the media tab and look at that particular tape...  How much storage space it left???  I am thinking like...  little to none.

Had a simalar problem, and that is what I was getting.  Don't remember what I did, but I had it set to only overwrite also, but that is not what it was doing.  There is another setting.

I am setting here a long time and got logged out, but I still can't remeber what I did.  But there IS another setting.

T

Lee_Marsh
Level 3
Hi Terry,

Thank you so much for your reply.

You are absolutely correct. Every tape used over the last two weeks that has failed has an available capacity of under 400MB - every tape that has worked has an available capacity of 32GB.

All these tapes are in the same tape group.

I don't suppose you or anyone might have an idea what setting somewhere else needs applying to rectify this?

Cheers,

Lee