cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent error trying to back up NAS

Rod_Roberts
Level 2
I am running BE10.0d, and have the remote agent for windows option installed (on other Windows servers). We now have shares on an EMC Celerra NAS that need to be backed up. I added the shares to my selection list under "User defined Selections". I can browse through the shares to select what needs to be backed-up, but the backup alwas fails withthe following:

Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.

The discussion thread on this topic was no help. When I run the "resource credential test" on the selected shares, the shares pass the test, but the server itself gives the message:

Failure: The Backup Exec Agent for Windows Servers is not installed on the remote computer, or is not running, or is not the correct version.

The NAS server is a CIFS server, and a remote agent cannot be installed.

How can I get the backup to run? I am using an Administrator account for the credential on this job, which has all privilages on all of the shares on this NAS device.
9 REPLIES 9

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
While backing up a NAS server this error message is normal. Please tell us what OS is installed on the NAS box. the files are normally backed up inspite of the error message, were they in your case?
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Rod_Roberts
Level 2
I have opened a support case which has not been answered yet for this problem.

I believe that the OS is a linux version - I would have to contact EMC to get the exact version. From what I can find on the support forum, it should be backing up the NAS as you say, with out the Remote agent being installed, but it is not. The following errors are in the job log:

Job ended: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 at 5:01:41 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65065

Backup- HERCULES
Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.
Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.

I have opened a support case for this problem.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the below mentioned technote:

How to determine if a Network Attached Storage system is compatible with Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/247059

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Tommy_Kavanagh
Level 3
Hello, I am having the same problem Rod with my newly installed EMC NAS. Did you get an answer to this issue.

Thanks,
Tommy

Rod_Roberts
Level 2
I did not get an answer from Symantec or EMC, however, through trial and error, and a reference to the use of the "System Logon Account" in document ID 271239 on SNAP servers, I have been able to get the backups to work. Apparently you MUST use the "System Logon Account" for the backup job - another account with the same privilages will not work.

Tommy_Kavanagh
Level 3
Rod,

Thanks for your answer. I was just about to try resetting up all my logon accounts including the system logon account, and try each one. That's the one account I have not used yet. Partly because I moved accounts from one domain to another and the system account was showing it to belong to the old domain.

Thanks,
Tommy

Tommy_Kavanagh
Level 3
Rod,

It works!!! Thanks for your help. I can sleep good tonight.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that your issue is resolved please let us know whether we can archive this case.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rod_Roberts
Level 2
Backups are working, but I still do not know why they would not run under another account with the same "Administrator" privilages as the System Account. What additional privilages does the system account have, and can I create another account with these privilages to run the backups with?