cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent for Exchange

Chris_Ryan
Level 2
Hi,

I am installing Veritas v9 on a server hosting exchange locally. Please can anyone tell me if I still need to use the Veritas Exchange agent to have my mail boxes backed up? Or does it mean that they will be backed up purely because of the fact that BEXEC is installed locally?

Thanks

Chris.
4 REPLIES 4

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You still need the Exchange agent.
Unless you want to perform an off-line backup, by stopping Exchange before each backup and restarting it after the backup.
The agent is the easier method!

Chris_Ryan
Level 2
Thanks for the prompt reply. Are the agents applicable to each version also? For example - if I install BEXEC v10 then can I use the agents that I used when I had v9.1 installed? Or do all agents span all BEXEC versions?

Thanks

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Agents are specific to each version, with some backward compatibility. This is as far as the software itself is concerned.
As far as the license keys are concerned, I think they are version specific.

As your BE server is also your Exchange server, when you upgrade BE it will also upgrade the Agent, so you will need to have a V10 license key for the Exchange agent.
I'm not sure what happens if you try and upgrade without a license key for the agent.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

For example - if I install BEXEC v10 then can I use the agents that I used when I had v9.1 installed?

-No,each major version has its own corresponding agents which should be used.
Agents from an earlier version cannot be used.

Regards
Padmaja