cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent terminated unexpectantly

mike_gahan_2
Level 3
After running fine for several weeks my back job failed.
System Log says BU Exec Remote Agent terminated unexpectantly Windows server. Job was terminated after writing 4MB to backup tape. BU Exec Job status said job timed out waiting for data from agent during operation. Resource errors.

On the next evenings backup cycle I gett error message that "device could not be backed up because error occurred while connecting to remote agent for windows servers". Make sure that that Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target system. I checked the services running for Backup Exec:

Agent Browser
Device & Media service
Job engine
Naming service
Remote Agent for Windows Server
Server

I appreciate your thoughts and comments...
Mike
6 REPLIES 6

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please check the remote agent service on the target service. Verify that it is running and is of the same version as backup exec.

try uninstalling and reinstalling the remote agent on the target machine.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

mike_gahan_2
Level 3
I don't understand what you mean in your reponse, "Please check the remote agent service on the target service. Verify that it is running and is of the same version as backup exec." ?

What is the target service? Do you mean Windows 2000 Server Service Control Manager? Also, Iwe have been running the backup program for many months. We have not updated the program? is there an automatic hot fix program running???

Could the remote agent service program be corrupted? If yes how could this happen. According to the log no maintentance was applied to the system for over a week. I am running Backup Exec 9.0 Should I upgrade to 9.1?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Yes you may upgrade to Backup exec 9.1. Also upgrade all the agents.
- Are you running a local or a remote backup?
- Are you backing up databases?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

mike_gahan_2
Level 3
Thanks........
we are running local back up...
we have some sybase databases we are backing up. What is the remote agent for???

mike_gahan_2
Level 3
I didn't get your answer about what the remote agent is used for? If I am only backing up local do I need. How do I shut it off? Thanks...

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Currently Backup Exec does not provide agent for Sybase.
Backup Exec for Windows Servers supports only certain databases by using their corresponding agents. Please refer to the following technote for agent and platform support matrix:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.0 for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List
http://support.veritas.com/docs/251810

Regarding remote agent, even though you are taking local server backup, remote agent is used by Backup Exec. It uses ndmp port 10000 by default.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.