cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Windows XP Full Restore

Level 2
After performing a successful (according to the BE job log)complete restore (including system state from a good full backup) of a remote windows xp client (after installing new hard drive due to hardware failure) and rebooting the client, Windows XP will not boot. Instead we get a blue screen PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE.

Restore Job Settings...

- restore over existing files
- restore security preserve tree
- merge existing hardware configuration and registry services
- restore junction points...
5 REPLIES 5

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Did you reinstall XP with the BE client? Did you disable the firewall and change the registry to allow remote login?

Level 2
Yes, I installed the remote agent using the following steps...

1 - Copied RANT32 folder to C:\
2 - Using MSDOS - ran setupaa.cmd
3 - From Media Server verified connectivity to remote client

The Windows XP reinstall was done using a service pack 1 CD (the OEM CD fro Dell) which I understood that the firewall service is not enabled. The restore job completed 100% successful.

I did not change the remote logon registry setting as it was not part of any instructions that I was able to obtain. Don't know even how even to do this task.

Thanks

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Did you install XP Pro, patch it to same level as tape, install BE client and restore system state?

Level 2
No, we did not patch to the same level that existed before the hard drive failure failure. That's what we thought the full restore would accomplish (bring it back to the same patch level). If the restore cannot accomplish this, then what's the point? If that is a requirement, then Backup Exec is only good to recover documents and is not really a good disaster recovery solution.

Thanks

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you ahve mentioned that you have changed the harddrive because of hardware failure,
have you installed the veritas drivers or OEM drivers on the server?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.