cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agent failed to connect after adding a network card

Fabri_Fabri
Level 4
Backup Exec 11.d on Win server 2003. 2 days ago I added a network card to one of my systems and after that backup failed. I noticed that from backupexec server I couldn't connect anymore to this client. However nothing changed but new network card. I uninstalled remote agent from client and tried to install it again from unc path \\\c$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64 Unfortunately it didn't help. After installation, trying to add "windows system" on bkupexec server I get "An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of "Server1". A network connection to the server could not be established" How can I solve this problem ? I searched in remote agent options something that could force agent to use a particular connection but didn't find anyhing. Please help.
19 REPLIES 19

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

In the backup job properties you can go to the network and security tab where you can specify a dedicated network card for backup.

Fabri_Fabri
Level 4

Hi RahulG,

choosing dedicated card as you suggest only refers to backupexec server connection and not the client one.

I added card on client and not server.

UPDATE!!

executing on bkupexec server: telnet myclient 6101 --> fails; telnetting other clients success.

I double checked that this port is open but it fails so the reason imho is that the service on client is not listening on that port.

I opened this registry key on client:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Agent Browser\TcpIp

and there is AdvertisementPort set to 17d5(6101)

I also checked under services and the nackup exec remote agent is running.

What can I do ?

Please help !!

Fabri_Fabri
Level 4

UPDATE 2 !!

I run a diagnostic (tools --> backup exec diagnostics on bkupexec server) and read this log for failed client:

SERVER1:
    Tombstoned:     no
    DLE info parameter:
        Present:    true
        Type:       7
        Subtype:    2
        Feature bits: 0x00XXXXX
        Ext Ftr bits: 0x0XXXXX
        Valid:      true
    Platform parameter:
        Platform:   500
        Type:       8687XXX
        Version:    X.X
    Misc info parameter:
        Application version: 11.0.7170.0
        Restrict anon: XXX
    Network address parameter:
        Protocol:   IPv4
        Address:    192.168.0.1/24 --> this is the address of the second network card
        Port:       10000
    Network address parameter:
        Protocol:   IPv4
        Address:    10.100.100.1/24 --> this is the current and old correct address that should work
        Port:       10000

Do I have to set to false the second address ? How ?

Please help.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

teaming of network card is not supported by backup exec... Are you able to ping the server fine ?

Fabri_Fabri
Level 4

RahulG,

I use backup exec on 10+ servers all of them with teaming interfaces with no problem at all.

This strange thing recently appeared only after installing new network card.

So it is almost 100% due to this installation.

I wonder HOW to disable in remote agent (not in server ones) the interfaces I don't need to be involved in backup process.

I can succesfully telnet from client to server in this way:

telnet <server_ip> 10000        ----------> works!
telnet <server_ip> 6101          ----------> works!

when I try to ping from server to client, however, I get these results:

telnet <client_ip> 10000         ----------> works!
telnet <client_ip> 6101           ----------> DOES NOT WORK!

And, imho, because of these I can't manage the client in backup exec console.

Please help.

Fabri_Fabri
Level 4

Is there a symantec employee that can help please ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Don't have an answer for you, but I have set the Support Flag on this thread to draw it to the attention of the Symantec folks.

Fabri_Fabri
Level 4

Thanks ... anyone is reading this topic ?

I mean I am totally stuck with this problem. I don't think I will resolve this issue alone because all ports are open on firewall and all seems ok to me.

Please help.

JK81
Level 4

Hello,

Could start the BE remote agent in debug mode on the problem server.

Here is how you do the debug:

To temporarily enable Backup Exec debug logging on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 and Windows 2008:

1. Go to Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Services

2. Select the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service, and click Stop. When prompted, click Yes to shut down the service.

3. Select and right-click on the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service, and then select Properties

4. In the Startup Parameters box, type -debug.  Click Start in the Properties page to start the service. Click OK

5. Select and right-click the Backup Exec Job Engine service, and then select Properties

6. In the Startup Parameters box, type -debug. Click Start in the Properties page. Click OK to close. 

Location of the log file will be :

• \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\Logs"

•  
  • The name of the log files will follow the format of <ServerName>-BEREMOTEXX.LOG for the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service. The XX will increment each time the services are started with the -debug option, so that a new log file is created.

Attach that log file to this post

Fabri_Fabri
    Level 4

I attach the logfile, thanks for support.

JK81
    Level 4

Entries:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could not create a BETCPConnection object from address: BKSERVER error=An error occurred during host address resolution: Error Code: 11001, System Error Message: No such host is known.
    [0732] 11/12/10 15:35:47 NrdsAdvertiserThread: connect to target=BKSERVER port=6101 failed
    [0732] 11/12/10 15:35:47 ConnectToServerEndPoint: dest=BKSERVER.mynetwork.local, service=6101
    [0732] 11/12/10 15:35:59 Could not create a BETCPConnection object from address: BKSERVER.mynetwork.local error=An error occurred during host address resolution: Error Code: 11001, System Error Message: No such host is known.
    [0732] 11/12/10 15:35:59 NrdsAdvertiserThread: connect to target=BKSERVER.mynetwork.local port=6101 failed
    [0732] 11/12/10 15:35:59 NrdsAdvertiserThread: Retrying in 60 seconds

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like for some reason, it is not recognizing the host entry.

Add the server using its IP address in "User Defined selections" in the backup selection and check if you can expand the selections??

If this fails too, then run " netstat -anob > C:\netstat.txt " from cmd prompt on the problem server, attach this text file on post.

JK81
    Level 4

BTW, Is BKSERVER. the name of your backup server ?

Fabri_Fabri
    Level 4

Hi Kun,

jus to clarify: client and server are on separated networks and have different IP, and the client cannot resolve server name. It can be reached from IP address through 6101 and 10000 tcp ports. I have many servers configured this way.

I tried to add client using IP address as you suggested, but it didn't work. (you mean adding client into favorite server on bkserver, right ?)

For the netstat output file, I have concern about privacy. Can you please give me your e-mail address, just to send you the file ?

And yes, BKSERVER is my backupexec server and BKCLIENT is the client that recently is in trouble (adding the new network card)

Thanks, please help.

JK81
    Level 4

I think there are errors from Backup server side also.

On the backup server., Keep the SGMON.exe running with options "Job engine, RAWS" and "Capture to File" option when you try to expand the backup selections. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH4986

the above link will help you with SGMON and attach the log to this post.

JK81
    Level 4

Hello Fabri,

Before i give you my Email address, I want you to know that I am not a Symantec employee. I am just a backup exec user and an ex-employee of symantec. I was here to help.

Keeping in mind about your privacy concerns, I may not need the file. But in case you would like to send it, let me know I shall give you.

Else you can post SGMON log.

Fabri_Fabri
    Level 4

Hi,

the only line in netstat -anob that can helps, imho, is:

TCP    0.0.0.0:10000          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3304
      [beremote.exe]

Also, I am running SGMON when trying to add a the client in favorite server but nothing seems to be related to the client that does not connect.

I'll be back on Monday.

Very very thanks for support and patience.

JK81
    Level 4

Sure, no problem.. see you on soon

Colin_Weaver
    Employee Accredited Certified

If adding your network cards changed your name resolution then this is likely to be the cause of your problems.

Make sure that the Backup Exec Media Server can ping (by shortname and FQDN) the remote server and make sure the remote can ping (by shortname and FQDN) the media server.

When doing this test make sure the ip address returned is for the network card you want the backups to use.

If the pings all to be working - then stop beremote on the remote server and if you can then still telnet to 10000 you have something else on that server using the port

Oh and Advertising (so port 6101) does not have to work to get a file system backup.

Try using a user defined selection in the Backup Selection list that specifies the IP address of the remote server and see if your backup then works.

Fabri_Fabri
    Level 4

Hi Colin,

thanks for your support, I really need to make it work because this is a production server.

First of all, I want to inform you that, using uder-defined selection, I can succesfully connect and browse client resources to set up a backup. However I can't do that using "Favorite resources" --> "Windows  Systems"; please see:

It fails with this error:

I surfed the URL and saw that the error should be related to:

FS_ACCESS_DENIED - Connected but didn't do anything because I couldn't access the remote agent computer's registry due to access denied error.

but I use the account that I can succesfully use under user-defined selection.

Some points:

1) Adding network card didn't change name resolution

2) be server and client are not in the same domain so I can ping them only via IP address, but, to follow your advice, I ensured that they can ping and telnet each others modifying hosts file and adding IP/names entries for both be server and client. Unfortunately it didn't help.

3) Ping be server --> client works ok returning correct IP address. Tried with hostname as well as ip address.

4) Ping client --> be server works ok returning correct IP address. Tried with hostname as well as ip address.

5) telnet be server --> client 10000 works ok (I can see strange in dos window characters but I think it connect). Tried with hostname as well as ip address.

6) telnet be server --> client 6101 works ok (I can see "Error:  Must authenticate before using this service.
    Connection to host lost." msg). Tried with hostname as well as ip address.

7) telnet client --> server 10000 works ok (I can see strange in dos window characters but I think it connect. Tried with hostname as well as ip address.

8) telnet client --> server 6101 DOES NOT WORK. Tried with hostname as well as ip address.

9) I tried also to stop be remote and tried to telnet on 10000 from client but no service is listening.

Anyway, when I try to connect using

Did you have a chance to look at previous attached log file ?

Please help,