cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote server backup over a limited ADSL connection

TornadoWire1
Level 4

Hello

Running Backup Exec 2010 R3 (All patches applied)

Just wondering what the best recommendation is for backing up b2d data over a relatively slow connection?

I have tried running a 2gb job from the remote server, but this took about 7 hours at a rate of 4mb/min.

I then tried installing a media server on the remote server and backing up to a remote agent in reverse direction with the same speed of 4mb/min.

I then ran the backup job locally, followed by a duplicate backup job operation which copies the media across to the remote location on completion and again got the same rate.

I accept that out WAN is limited by the ADSL lines, but this is an extremely slow rate.

Can anyone offer any recommendations for how I should perform backups in this scenario and would you expect better performance than this?

Kind Regards

Simon

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is your maximum upload speed on the remote location ?
If the upload is 4Mb/s that's your limit.

You may look into the deduplication option.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Simon,

I'd say if you are getting poor speeds like that then deduplication backups are out of the question too as that needs a fairly fast line to run the dedupe backups properly.

Why not consider doing a differential/incremental backup locally, and then a duplicate job thereafter? This way you're at least getting a backup going locally...your jobs would be smaller getting duplicated across your WAN, excluding the FULL backup.

Another option would be to look at buying a NAS that is listed on the BE 2010 HCL and backing up to that on the remote site, for which you'd also need a media server license along with any agents.

I think that with a slow ADSL line your options are pretty much limited to the above.

TornadoWire1
Level 4

Speed tests suggest we are running at about 200Kbps upload rates in both directions, with a 2mbps download. Thanks

TornadoWire1
Level 4

Hi Craig

The problem is, this is just a test job at the moment. The actual amount of data I will need to back up initially will be about 15Gb. This probably wouldn't even complete over a weekend period, so as not to impact network performance during office hours.

If I was to run a full backup at the remote site to a portable device, send this to the other site and import that full backup into the media server there. Then run an incremental backup daily thereafter with that media, would that work?

Regards

Simon

teiva-boy
Level 6

A business class T1 (1.5Mb) can do maybe in 24hours, 6GB of data.  Your ADSL line is not as robust, and the speeds are variable over time.  

You either try the dedupe option, move to a business class fixed line, or do backups to a local server or cloud provider.

Mike_Waesch
Level 2

Hello,

I have the same situation, the difference is we use 4 Mb SDSL. I have to backup 172 GB of data. That never complete in one weekend. Is dedupe an option? Have someone expierence with that?

Thank you

Michael