cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote servers are greyed out

Morten_Eriksen
Level 3
I had to reinstall my Windows2000 SP4 server with Veritas Backup Exec ver. 9.1. After the reinstall, I cant access my remote servers. I have also installed IDR on media server and 8 IDR client licenses. The remote servers in the domain are greyed out. It`s a NT4 domain. If I try to backup mediaserver via LAN it`s also greyed out, but it works locally. The remote agents are installed on remote servers and running. Netstat -a on mediaserver says port 10000 is not in used when services are stopped. Reinstalling agents does not help. The error message when I try to backup: You are not authorized to access this item, a license key for Backup Exec for Windows Server is not installed on the machine or the Remote Agent is old or incompatible. I have also tried to access server via IP adress, still greyed out.Message was edited by:
Morten Eriksen
11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you re-intall the RemoteAgent serials on the Media Server?

Morten_Eriksen
Level 3
Yes I re-installed all my Veritas software including IDR for server and clients. I have tried to backup again and used IP address in user defined shares. The shared folders are still greyed out, but local disks are available. If I try to backup local disks I get the error: License Violation
A Remote Agent for Windows Servers license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
Access to the device \\192.168.1.124\C: is not authorized with this edition of the product.
On the help and about in Veritas program it says License ok on all products.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote below:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258984

As mentioned in the technote if the remote agent version is older then please uninstall remote agent from add-remove programs and then do a silent install of the remote agent with the help of the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265736

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Morten_Eriksen
Level 3
Hello,
I have upgraded Veritas software to SP2, ran uninstall of the remote agent on remote computers and on a couple of servers I pushed remote agents from mediaserver. The silent update files was copied from the mediaservers local disk. I have done this update on 6 servers and they all are greyed out. I am running NT4 server and Windows2000 servers. As I mentioned before, there is also a problem with mediaserver(where Veritas is installed) The access to mediaserver is also greyed out if you access via LAN. The logon account is a administrator account in domain.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please verify that you have entered the remote agent license keys for each remote server on the backup exec server.

Are you able to ping these resources from the backup exec server and back?

Can you browse the servers through the windows network?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Morten_Eriksen
Level 3
Yes I can ping both ways, yes I can see all servers in Explorer and with the net view command.
I see shared folders and can access them.
In the license information on the mediaserver I have 3 options installed.
1: Backup Exec for Windows Servers, licensed Yes installed yes. 1 license
2: Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option, licensed Yes installed yes. 1 license
3: IDR Additional Remote License Option, licensed Yes installed yes. 8 licenses
If I try to backup mediaserver and uses Remote Selections the mediaserver is also greyed out and says: Selection of this item is disabled. You are not authorized to access.......

When testing Veritas I discovered that if I enable backup exec from windows explorer(tools-options-preferences) I can map a drive to a remote server: \\server5\c$ and then run backup from explorer on my new mapped drive. It works fine.Message was edited by:
Morten Eriksen

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You don't have any RemoteAgent serials installed on the Media Server, according to what you mentioned.

Add those serials, and your remote servers ought to "un-grey" and become accessible

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

As per the previous reply please check whether you have installed BE remote agent for Windows server license.
Each remote server requires a remote agent license.

We also want to inform you that in order to protect remote workstations running on Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows NT 4 Workstation, Windows Me, Windows 98, UNIX, and Macintosh platforms you need not have remote agent license you have to only install remote agent.

Also please see the technote below for additional information:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255137
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253058

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh

Morten_Eriksen
Level 3
Hello,
I will check my servers later today according to the technotes you refered to.
The software from Veritas I have installed is backup server and IDR for server and remote servers. It is not possible to run IDR for remote computers without remote agent so I assume that the remote agent is included in the IDR package.

If I try to follow this technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255137
I get no properties on the servers which I have installed IDR/remote agent, they are greyed out. Other servers or workstations in domain are not greyed out and properties are available.
I have no mapped up drives from mediaservers Explorer to remoteservers and can run backup from Explorer on the mapped drives. It works ok, but when running the backup wiz. from Veritas it is still greyed out.Message was edited by:
Morten Eriksen

Morten_Eriksen
Level 3
Yes, you are right.
The problem was remote agent serial number not installed
on mediaserver.

Thanks all

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Thank you for the update and glad that worked for you. We are now moving this thread to the assumed answered pool.

Regards