cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable Backup-to-Disk RB2D Folders Allways Online in BE 11d

Burton
Level 3

I have a couple of RB2D folders created in Backup Exec 11d that are associated with different different USB drives. Each drive has a different drive letter and the two disks are included in a drive pool. Even though I take and unplug one of the drives they both continue to remain "ready" in Backup Exec even though the OS knows the drive has been removed. I've tried to stop/restart the BE Services however that hasn't resolved the issue. Is there another configuration setting I missed or is this a product bug?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions for how to resolve this issue.

Burton

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

THis might answer your query  - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53429

Burton
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion however that really isn't my issue.

When I try to inventory the drive I get the following error:

Error category    : Backup Device Errors
Error             : e0008212 - Library error - invalid element address.

If I stop/restart the services the RB2D still remains "ready".

Just very weird.

Burton

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think this behaviour is by design. 

RB2D meida will show online, even after removing the target.

After connecting the target back to the server, are you facing any issues?

Burton
Level 3

The only problem with the drive still appearing "ready" is that it is apart of a drive pool. So when a backup job runs it usually selects the first drive in the pool which is going to be unavailable.

For example:

"Backup Pool" contains Drive 1 and Drive 2

Drive 1 is currently unplugged and since it shows up the pool list before Drive 2 the backup job doesn't execute.

Basically I guess the work around is to cancel the job, go into the Backup Exec Pool configuration and either remove Drive 1 from the pool temporarily or disable the drive altogether and then restart the job.

Is there any other way to eliminate this problem? I would think part of the idea of being a "removeable" device would include the ability to know when the device is online or offline.

Thanks,

Burton

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

USB/Firewire/eSATA hard drives shoud have standard B2D folders defined.  RB2D was designed for things like Jazz drives, where the hardware stays connected, but the platter is removed

That being said, since the are defined as RB2D, have you tried using the Removeable Device Wizard to define them as being removed?