cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a retired server from backup

Attila_Suveges
Level 3

Hi,

we're using Backup Exec 10d for backing up Exchange Server 2003 Data. We migrated Exchange to a new server, but the old one was still running - and selected for backup for a few weeks. Then our Exchange Service Provider has uninstalled Exchange Server from the old server. We started to receive alerts from Backup Exec, claiming that the selected resource is not available. So I unchecked the whole server from backup selections. However, we keep receiving these error messages. After checking the logs and the job description, I realized it still wants to backup Exchange Information Services. It's not listed under the server resources, so I can't unceck them, but I guess it's still selected under the hood somewhere.

One solution would be to install Exchange again, then after it's appeared in BE, deselect it, then uninstall Exchange again. This is not possible due to our SP.

Other would be to completely rebuild the job from scratch. I'd like to avoid from this if possible.

And the 3rd, why I'm writing now is to somehow edit the job description, removing Exchange IS from the selections list.

The error message pop up after the job finishes is:

"Daily Incremental -- The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running."

Lines in job log are:

"Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running. Final error category: Resource Errors."

"Unable to attach to \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\Storage Group 1 (SERVER).
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine SERVER. The machine could not be found on the network.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup
Exec Remote Agent is installed
and running on each remote Windows-based server or
workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
Remote Agent is not running
while backing up remote Windows-based computers.

Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information."

Thanks for any help,
Attila

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

From the media server you can just remove the server from the selection list nothing apart from that.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check your text view on the selection list and remove any references to the server there.

...and don't forget to uninstall the RAWS agent if you haven't already done that.

AmolB

Have you tried removing the old entries from the "View selection details" (text view) of the selection list.

EDIT: Adding screenshot

Attila_Suveges
Level 3

No, as I haven't even recognised this option yet. But now I was able to remove these sources, thanks. I'll check backup logs tomorrow morning and will back with the results.

Thanks,
Attila

Attila_Suveges
Level 3

Thanks for the text version tip as well.

Regarding to uninstallation, this server is switched off already. I might turn it on if it's absolutely necessary, but if not, I'd just remove its registration from BE. But I only found how to uninstall using the command line, from the console of the remote server.

Regards,
Attila

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you would uninstall the RAWS agent via Add/Remove Programs.

Attila_Suveges
Level 3

I could do it if the server were online, but it is switched off.

Can I unregister this server from the Media Server when the remote server is offline?

AmolB

From the media server you can just remove the server from the selection list nothing apart from that.

Attila_Suveges
Level 3

If you mean removing the server from the Backup Selection List used by our active jobs, it's done.

AmolB

Looks good, now you shouldn't get any job failure due to the decommisioned server.

After removing the server from selection list have you tried running backup job.

Attila_Suveges
Level 3

Job has finished without any error.
So thanks for all replies, it really solved my problem.

Attila