cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming a folder does not set archive bit

fortitudo
Level 2
Dear all,
I had to substitue a server and did a restore (BE 10d) of a data partition from the last full backup followed by my latest differential backup. In the meantime a user has renamed a folder (say from Folder A to Folder B) . So this ends up in a mess. The Folder A is restored containing the files from the last full fullbackup. That's not surprising and OK to me. But folder B contains only the files changed since the last backup. What I expected is that renaming of a folder would have led to reset the archive bits, but it doesn't .

This is caused by the Windows 2003 Server file system. You can verify  this by renaming a folder. The archive bit does not change. If you do this on a file the bit changes. 

Has anyone an idea how I can get renamed folders completly beeing backup up by differential method???
Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards.
fortitudo
5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
As this is an OS limitation there is not a lot that BackuP Exec can do - once you have identified it has affected a restore, you can redirect the data to the correct place.

You could also reduce the frequency between the full backups so that it is less likely to happen.

It is possible that a Synthetic Backup or True Image Restore  backup (using The Advanced Disk Based Backup Option - chargeable extra) might handle the rename in a better way

fortitudo
Level 2
Dear Colin,
that's what I guessed. Sigh. Indeed I did a redirection, but of cause only in that cases a user notified me. So a more frequent full backup is recommended :( Maybe I can convince the OS to change that folder behaviour. Any Idea will be appreciated:-)
Kind regards.
fortitudo

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
You may use backup with modified time, as modified time does change on rename of files. So, that should take care of this behaviour.

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
I don't think the modified time will work either as I believe changing the folder with a rename will leave the time stamps of the files alone - what he really needs is a method of changing either the archive bit or the modified time of the files in the folder when the folder is renamed so that the next differential will backup the complete folder again. As I don't think NTFS provides this functionality though there is little that Backup Exec can do - we will have still backed up and restored the data it is just that some of it will be recovered to the old folder name - and some of his files will have 2 versions, one in the old folder and one in the new folder - at least until the next full backup runs when the rename will be fixed for the next differentials

fortitudo
Level 2
So my classical backup strategy "full Backup followed by several differential backups first to disk then to tape" cannot avoid this behaviour. Unfortunately I havn't neither the budget nor a backup window to do a daily full backup (approx. 2.5 tera byte). How do you guys avoid this?
Any hint would be appreciated:-)
Kind regards.
fortitudo