cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replicating Exchange CPS backups to a remote site - how best to go about it?

Damian_Gunner
Level 3
I have CPS running at my remote site with Backup Exec at the main site (tape drive attached)

What I want to achieve is my Exchange CPS backups at both sites.

At the moment I have the Exchange CPS backup set to the backup server at the main site. Why can't I just setup CPS to replicate the Exchange B2D folder to my remote backup server?

4 REPLIES 4

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Where is the exchange installed?What version of BEWS are you using.You could use Backup Exec to perform a FULL backup of Exchange databases and CPS to continuously protect the transaction logs.
You can then protect the CPS destination with BEWS.

Damian_Gunner
Level 3
Exchange (2003) is at the main site with our backup server. CPS is at the remote site.

Backup Exec is version 12 (this is the v12 forums...) or do you mean something else?

I am using BE and CPS to protect Exchange so I have the main site covered. What I want to do is either get the backup to disk folder contents to the remote site or backup Exchange to the remote site.

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
With BEWS12 you can run GRT based Exchange backups to remote locations.You can modify the current job or create a new one.
As for backing up the  B2D,I would recommend that you create a Duplicate job to duplicate the media sets created by the original (data being backed up to B2D).

Damian_Gunner
Level 3
Yes, I could set the G2D as my remote server but that is not where my backup drive is.

If I create a duplicate job then it means the data will have to come back across my LES circuit which will make for a very slow backup.

How about two jobs? One using B2D to my remote site say 8am - 8pm and then another job in Backup Exec onto tape direct from the Exchange server?