cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting queued error: faulting application bengine.exe

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
These past two weeks I've been having problems with the backup services crashing in the middle of backup jobs. This is causing problems with my backup jobs, corrupting tapes and problems with some servers (i.e. ms exchange). Please help.

The event log always has several events detailing the crash. The most prevalent messages are below. I have tried optimizing the DB, repairing it, compacting it, reindexing it... basically anything beutil can do, I've done.

I've seen suggestions of renaming the catalog folder. I cannot do this as I fear that will cause restore problems for my company. Currently I was not truncating or deleting anything in the catalogs for this reason. My catalogs are up to 43 GB in size. I decided to start truncating them and they are now down to 27 GB. I have yet to find if this fixes my issue. I doubt it will.

One of the problems this causes is it seems to corrupt the VSS writers in exchange if that job is running when it crashes. I have to reboot the exchange server every time in order to back it up again. This cannot continue to happen.

Please help.

-------------------begin event log--------------------------------

Event Type:Information
Event Source:Application Error
Event Category:(100)
Event ID:1004
Date:5/8/2006
Time:5:48:07 PM
User:N/A
Computer:HCK-BACKUP1
Description:
Reporting queued error: faulting application bengine.exe, version 10.1.5629.0, faulting module msvcr71.dll, version 7.10.3052.4, fault address 0x00010428.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type:Information
Event Source:DrWatson
Event Category:None
Event ID:4097
Date:5/7/2006
Time:5:50:30 PM
User:N/A
Computer:HCK-BACKUP1
Description:
The application, D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\bengine.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/07/2006 @ 17:50:30.586 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C350428 (MSVCR71!wcscpy)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Message was edited by:
Matthew McDonald
25 REPLIES 25

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
I have disabled the password protect media option... 4 days later, another crash. This didn't help.

Almost all of my alerts are already set to auto-respond. I went through and configured the rest of the ones I normally see to auto respond.

There are no event log messages regarding device failures. The problem seems to stem solely from this software.

There are no alerts posted at the time of service failure.

None of these suggestions are working. I've been having this problem for well over a month now and my business cannot continue with this broken application. Please redirect me to a real support technician that will be able to work with me directly to fix this issue.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please try installing SP1 ofBE v10d.

Please refer the following link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282818.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
I cannot facilitate an install of SP1 at this time. I have approximately 50+ servers that will need to be rebooted for this to happen and our services cannot allow that to happen in one fell swoop.

If i upgrade the server, will backups fail to agents not yet upgraded?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

If the remote agent is not upgraded there could be problem with remote backups

Are there any catalog related informational alerts in the application log?

What is the 10.0 revision that you are using?

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
No catalog alerts.

We are running 10.1 Rev. 5629 with hotfix 19.

Also it looks like I was wrong. It seems we did NOT have another crash since turning off the 'Password Protect' media option. That is my fault, I thought we did.

So it looks like that may have been my problem. Since turning it off on the 7th, we have not had another crash.

Now tell me how to turn it back on without causing these crashes. I need this password protection.

Also, why is this forum marked with 2 helpful answers and 1 correct answer when nothing has been resolved yet? Those need removed. Who determines answers are helpful, Veritas or the customer? I sure as heck didn't say anything has been helpful yet thus far.

Matthew_McDonal
Level 4
Since I cannot get any worthy assistance via these forums I have decided to contact support directly. I will work with them.

Thank you.