cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requires Windows 2003?

Will_Estes
Level 4
After installing Panther, I tried to create the various entities required to create a Backup Job, and I was getting modal error dialogs saying I must have at least one Windows 2003 server in my backup group. What's up with that? I am required to have Windows 2003 on my network to use this product? Why did it waste my time and install in the first place under Windows 2000 if it requires Windows 2003?
8 REPLIES 8

Bebeta_Support
Level 4
Titan Code: Thank You for your input.

For the CPS Server Windows 2003 Standard and Enterprise versions (Excluding R2 and Data Center) is required to utilize the Volume Snapshot technology.

The documentation on this will be updated.

Will_Estes
Level 4
I was not trying to do a volume snapshot. I was simply trying to define a group of computers and then set up a backup job. I was not able to do any of these things because the product gave me modal dialogs saying at least one server needed to run Windows 2003.

Bebeta_Support
Level 4
Backup Exec "Panther" will protect Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers. And the Continuous Protection Agents, Administration Console and core software may run on Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers. However, the Backup Destination must run under Windows Server 2003 or Storage Server 2003 operating systems in order to enable the snapshot capabilities. In most cases, the Continuous Protection Server is the Backup Destination. Thus, the Protection Server should operate under Windows Server 2003.

Will_Estes
Level 4
That will cut down the size of the market for this product by at least 80%. Maybe it is good technology, but that's just bad product marketing.

Jenna_Sumner
Not applicable
So even the backup destination must be Windows 2003?

Bebeta_Support
Level 4
The Backup Destination needs to be on a WIndows 2003 server so snapshots can be taken. Also the Continuous Management Service needs to reside on a Windows 2003 server for easy disaster recovery of the Continuous Management database again due to snapshot capabilities.

Timothy_Hance
Level 2
Why would you not want to use 2003 Server on your network? It is much easier to manage and we have much less downtime than any previous relese of the OS.

Amy_Hawthorne
Not applicable
I would love to use windows 2003 on my network. However the company I work for does not see the need to upgrade at this time as our windows 2000 network is fine. We even **gasp** still have some windows 98 desktops.