cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resource Errors V-79-57344-867

MSO_Andy
Level 3

Hi folks, we've been having some issues with one of our incremental back-ups that seems to have started failing all of a sudden two weeks ago. Every weekend we run a complete backup of our Enterprise Vault with an incremental back-up every Wednesday. The complete backup is working as normal, but everytime we try to run the incremental, it fails, with the error message above- V-79-57344-867.

This has been running just fine a few weeks ago and nothing has changed since then. Also, it's been difficult to find anything to help us on this, beyond the suggestion that we try again, reboot the server etc. All of these things have been done and it's made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Our thoughts on where I might find more details? I'd really appreciate any help you could give me! Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

MSO_Andy
Level 3

Apologies, this was the error code, not the one I posted above-e0000363

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

I would start by simply creating a new job without using any existing selections list, for testing purpose and to confirm the selection list of backup job has not become corrupt. Can you provide more details so I can get a clear understanding of the environment?

1. What is the complete error message in the job log?
  2. What version of Backup Exec installed on what OS?
  3. What version of Enterprise Vault?
  4. Are both fully patched and up to date?
  5. Is the remote agent also up to date?
  6. Are you backing up to disk or to tape?
  7. Is there anything logged in the Event Viewer on both servers for anything unusual just prior to the job starting and up to the time of failure?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Were the recovery model of the SQL DBs used by EV changed recently ?

Are the SQL DBs used by EV backed up using a separate backup job (using BE or SQL itself) ? If yes, then do ensure this backup does not conflict with the full + incremental schedule of the EV backup.

MSO_Andy
Level 3

Hi folks, thanks for getting back to me. I'll answer your questions now.

VJware- nothing has changed recently in our backup configuration. And no, the SQL DB's are only backed up through Backup Exec.

Laurie- 1.

Job name            : Enterprise Vault Backup Incremental
Job type            : Backup
Job status          : Failed
Job log             : 
Server name         : MSOEXVISION
Selection list name : Backup 00005
Device name         : HP 0001
Target name         : HP 0001
Media set name      : Daily Backup
All Media Used
Wednesday 1
Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e0000363 - The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-867

2.Backup Exec 2010 R3

3. Enterprise Vault 8.0.4.1991

4.Backup Exec is fully updated (with the exception of one Hotfix that isn't relevant to us) as is Enterprise Vault.

5. I'm not sure with remote agent, but it should be.

6. We're backing up to tape.

7. There were some errors in the event viewer, but nothing new, from what I can see-

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "MSOEXVISION") (Job: "Enterprise Vault Backup Incremental") Enterprise Vault Backup Incremental -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

Thanks for the replies and your help!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If this machine is a VM, then check that you are not doing a VM backup between your full and incremental backup because the VM backup will disrupt the SQL backup sequence. If it is a physical machine then check that you are not doing any SQL maintenance beaten the two backups

MSO_Andy
Level 3

It's not a VM and I don't think there is any SQL maintenance running between the backups, but I'll check. Thanks.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Apart from SQL maintenance, even if there is a backup job using the Backup Exec Agent for SQL and if its backing up the SQL DBs (used by EV) and if this backup runs between the full and incremental backup of the EV backup job, then this error can be expected.

MSO_Andy
Level 3

Ok, thanks. I don't think it will be that though as no changes have been made since this occured and they've been running without any problems for a long time before that. Again, thanks for the suggestions and help!

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

I believe this could help resolve the issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58674