cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore AD

PETER_SO_2
Level 3
Hello, I'm trying to restore an old domain controller or AD in the lab.

I tried to do a system state only restore under both Direcotry Restore Mode and in Windows 2003.  Both restore attemps completed successfully.  But when I reboot the system, I can't see any of the user listing or computer listing, it is blank, like a default domain is setup.  I ran ntdsutil and do an database restore, it shows that it did recover over 15,000 objects but I can't see anything via AD users and computers.

Than, I tried to do a full C and system restore.  System locks up before the Windows logo display, it got be some hardware mismatch.  Safe mode doesn't work either, it locks up also.

So I went back and install 10d on my server and follow the Symantec instrucions.  The restore again, completed successfully. Symatnec claims that there is a file name something restore.dat on the Desktop that I need to run after a system state restore.  I searched the entire drive for restore.* in AD Restore mode, no luck. 

Any suggestion on how I can get a full list of users?  I just need to restore an older AD/DC in my lab to do some test. 

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Peter.

You can not restore only shadow Copy Components to a server, I am surprised that you are not seeing a blue screen when this is done. 

You will have to install the full backup to the server, this will need to be done to a server with the same or very similar hardware. 

Patty

PETER_SO_2
Level 3
Is there a document that shows the step for an AD recovery?  I found doc id 278898, is that the closes available?

Also, in a DR situation, backing up my AD to tape is useless unless I have similar hardware, am I correct?

Thanks

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Peter,

Please take a look at this technote:

It has a link for most DR situations.

Patty