cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore EX2007 Backup to EX2010

segelhof
Level 3

I need to restore some old mailboxes for legal reasons but we have since upgraded to Exchange 2010 and decomissioned the old 2007 server. Is  there a way to restore a EX2007 backup to EX2010 or what are my options? Do I need to build a 2007 server and restore it there or are there any other tools? I just need to restore some mailboxes from a certain time to extract to PST.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Exchange 2010 is completely different to other versions hence not being able to restore directly into it from an older version.

An alternative to rebuilding an Exchange server is to duplicate that backup to disk. You'll be left with the *.edb, *.stm and log files committed during the backup. Once done use something like Ontrack Powercontrols to pull the necessary data out of the flat file.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I think the best way would be to build another server in your TEST environment with same name and install Exchange 2007 on the server. Create the same Database on the server as it was on previous Exchange 2007 server and restore then restore the required database after which you can create a pst out of the required mailbox by assigning outlook profile to it.

Please take care that this TEST environment is completely isolated from your production environment so that it does not hamper your production server.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Exchange 2010 is completely different to other versions hence not being able to restore directly into it from an older version.

An alternative to rebuilding an Exchange server is to duplicate that backup to disk. You'll be left with the *.edb, *.stm and log files committed during the backup. Once done use something like Ontrack Powercontrols to pull the necessary data out of the flat file.

Thanks!