cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Fails with Error A00084ca Backup/Verify Were OK

Ted_Soward
Level 3
Attempting to restore a folder of mostly word documents from 2nd set on the tape. Initially tried to restore to a new directory, later to the original directory.

Restore runs well down the tape, appears to be working normally, but about the point where the restore should happen I get Error A00084ca and job aborts.

Tried the restore from 3 different tapes (and multiple attempts on some) (Last Mon, Tues, Wed) with same result.

Backup contained 3 sets (C:, D:, System State) and had completed successfully (a few skipped files not in our restore range) including a full media verify. Examining the log, shows that the affected files were verified.

Running Backup Exec Windows Server 9 4367 SP1 on HP TC2110 with Seagate ST20000A Travan 10/20. Media was Retensioned/Erased/Re-Labeled before use. Has been in use for about 2 yrs, but few restores needed, we normally just check that the full verify worked to vaildate quality of backup.

I know that this error norlmally occurs during write or verify and means bad tape/ drive/ etc but if the verify worked the drive must be able to write and read data (Thursday and Friday backups also ran apparently ok but the data we need to restore is not on them.)

Ted
6 REPLIES 6

Ted_Soward
Level 3
One added bit: I tried a restore from the Tuesday tape for a file near beginning of tape (in set 1), another in the target range, and another past the target and redirected to the C:\ drive a temp folder. Got the first file, failed with same error before getting the 2nd file.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

This error is normally related to hardware errors.
- Please check event logs for event IDs 7, 9, 11 and/or 15.
- Clean the tape drive at least 2-3 times before attempting a restore
- Update the firmware of your drive.
- Install latest revision of Backup Exec and its drivers.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

Drivers:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ted_Soward
Level 3
Amruta,
In the event logs there are errors 7 and 11 (mostly pairs) from the time period of the restore attempts. None during the backup time period.

I've ordered a new cleaning cart -- none on site.

Firmware was already current (8A51)

Currently downloading 9.1 BackupExec

I'll get back to u monday or tues

Ted_Soward
Level 3
Certance tape cleaner is ordered but not in yet. On hold for the moment.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

We are waiting for your update.

Please revert back to us if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Ted_Soward
Level 3
The tape cleaning car came in, I cleaned the drive but this did not solve problem.

I then installed the 9.1 upgrade and drivers.

Attempting to restore from the Tuesday (ideal) tape failed with the same error, however I was able to restore from the tape for the previous day. Only these 2 tapes had the needed files.

Although I got the files back, this experience reveals some serious flaws:

1. Even if a part of the tape were damaged (which seems unlikely, this and all other tapes were re-tensioned and erased immediately prior to use) some of the files should be retrievable from that tape.

2. Why would the Monday tape have exactly the same restore error as the Tuesday tape on ver 9, and now on 9.1 one tape is readable and the other not? This obscure error number seems to be some kind of catch-all. How did the software correct it on one tape and not the other?

3. There should be no restore error if verify worked (barring physical damage to the tape or drive). The verify of both tapes had run successfully. I can see the files on the log. Given that Verify seems not to be a reliable indicator of restorability, how do I know if any of my backups are useable. I have a large number of backups, are any of them good? What should we do differently to be able to have confidence that the backup's contents are all restorable?

Thanks for the help, and getting back the files is a major success, but my confidence in this product is currently about nil.