cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore exchange to another server in another domain

Darren_Welldon_
Level 3
Hi,

We have recently merged with another company and now I need to move the other companies exchange server 2003 mailboxes onto our system.

Whats the best way of achieving this with backup exec. I have made a succesful backup of the mail store.

I know this should be possible but just need a little help or pointing right direction
1 REPLY 1

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
I'm not sure that you can to be honest. I assume the other Exchange server is on a different domain to the one you're trying to restore it to, so you'll then have the problem that all the permission information relating to Exchange on that domain won't fit with the new server.

Is it possible to instead merge the two domains / setup trusts or whatever, and then through Exchange access the two Information Stores. Once you were there you could move the mailboxes from one Information Store to the other. Alternatively you could restore the second domains Exchange data to a new storage group in Exchange, and then from there move the mailboxes over to the main storage group used by the current domain. That way you can at least experiment with various ideas without risking the current live mailboxes.