cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore fails with missing NTOSKRNL.EXE

Michael_Levien
Not applicable
Version 8.60 Rev 3878

Our customer has 25 W2K clients (All Dell GX1's with identical hardware) being backed up to a W2K server that has a SONY TLS-S11000. It appears that the backups do not restore the remote PC's and a remote boots with the message missing or corrupt NTOSKRNL.EXE.
I found that the system state checkbox was not selected in the selection list for each of the remote PC's. After selecting the checkbox, a backup was performed of a running PC and the backup was restored to the failed PC that had it's HDD replaced. Again same message.
When I restored, I restored the selection list including the system state.
Does anybody have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or backup and restore options that should be checked or unchecked?

Notes:
1. The customer also has 25 NT4.0 clients. I was advised that they tried to initially install 9.0 but the NT clients would not backup and restore correctly, hence they roled back to 8.6.
2. The backup and restore for the NT clients work fine. We have replaced approx 6 HDD and restored all okay. The NT clients obviously don't have the system state checkbox.
1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
While it says it's for IDR, see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231610.htm

Do the running machines have a Utility partition on them, and have you created a similar partition on the new HDs?