cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore fails

Wilfried
Level 4
Hi to all!

We backup our VM guests since a few days with BE 2010 and AVVI. Backup works without any problems. But when i want to restore the machine on a VMServer i got the error: "V-79-57344-38277 - Connection to the Restordestination lost" and "0xe0009588 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine"

When i check the VM-Server, i see that the machine and the disk (only one in this case - dependent disk) was created. But it doesn´t work

i found in the KB the Article 353292 (http://support.veritas.com/docs/353292). This describe that i should protect the guest System ... is this the right way?
Thanks for helping
Best regards
Wilfried
6 REPLIES 6

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That article you pointed is correct in the case of RDM
Does this Virtual Machine containing virtual RDM (Raw Device Mapping). If that is the case then you have to install the remote agent on that particular machine and do the backup as physical machine.This error comes when you have the virtual RDM. Non-RDM volumes should be restored correctly.

Wilfried
Level 4
Hello Sazz!

the drives of the virtual machines are all vmdk files witch are stored in a SAN System. The SAN System is connect via fibre channel.

the vmware system was configured from a collegue, but he leave our company a long time ago ....
how can i check if the VMs containing virtual RDM?

Thanks a lot for helping
best regards
Wilfried

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If you are using SAN lun the chances are that you are using the  RDM but please check below articles and they will explain you everything aboutd RDM and if still have any issues let us know
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/esx25_rawdevicemapping.pdf

http://pubs.vmware.com/vi35/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=server_config&file=sc_ad...

Wilfried
Level 4
Hi!
We didn´t use RDM Disks. All disks are provided via VMFS.

I backup the VM with the follow settings (section VMWare in Job properties):
- Full backup
- transport mode prio : NBD, SAN, Hottadd, NBDSSS
- no GRT
the Job works fine with no encoding.

The Restore generates the follow files in the VM-Server:
  • [Servername].vmx
  • scsi0-0-[Servername].vmdk
  • [Servername].vmxf
  • [Servername].vmsd
On the original machines on the other VMWare System ther are this files:
  • [Servername].vmx
  • [Servername].vmdk
  • [Servername].vmxf
  • [Servername].vmsd
  • and some log-files and memory-files
the name of the vmdk file is different .. is this the reason for this problem? (and why)
Thanks for helping
Best regards
Wilfried

Wilfried
Level 4
Hello to all!
I wrote two month ago that i had problems with restore from guests machines. i hoped that the problem is away with the R2 Version of BE 2010.

Yesterday i created a new XP host in our ESX 3.5 System and backup it. Backup works without any problems. The transport mode was nbd for the file xptest.vmdk.
After backup i deleted the host and start a restore. Backup Exec create the machine and the files in the orgin location. But finaly the restore fails. Not the 2.4G of data are restored, only 18K. I attach the information. Does anybody know why the restor of the vmdk file fails?

(We don´t use RDM!)

Thanks a lot for helping
Best regards

Wilfried
Level 4

Hello to all,

i hope that somebody has any ideas ...
the Backup and Restore are simple ... but it doesn´t work.

Thanks a lot for helping