cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore individual items in Sharepoint

Beat_Zi_rjen
Level 3
We are using Backup Exec 11d 7170 SP2 to backup our whole Sharepoint Farm WSS 3.0. on a Windows 2003 Server with actual Servicepacks and patches.
Everything is working fine and the daily backup job ends without any errors.
But unfortunately it isn't possible to restore some individual items, although we have configured the backup job with the option to restore individual items.
Interesting is, that about 70% of the individuals items are selectable and restoreable but the other 30% are not visible and selectable.
I have done some test backups from another media server with exactly the same result.
I also made some backups to disk and I could check, that the whole content database would backuped. - Exactly the same size as on the original SQL 2005 Server.
So, it seems to me that everything will backuped fine, but Veritas can't list all individual items. Maybe something with the catalog is wrong. But I already recreated the catalog several times.

By the way, we also backup a whole MOSS Server Farm on the same media server and there is everything in order.

Have someone similar problems or any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
From your description, it seems like a problem with the content database.  When backing up to tape, at the end of the backup, the Remote agent enumerates the contents of the content DB to build the catalog and index of the GRT restore selections.  If there are problems with the documents within the DB, the restore selections may not be shown.  Supporting this is that you see the same results with another media server and backup to disk.  With B2D, the database image is backed up to the media server and the GRT restore selections are created on the fly by digging into this database image... So two different methods of enumerating contents and two media servers are showing you the same results.  This indicates a DB problem to me.  Finally, be sure that you are not looking for anything other than uploaded files/documents.  Lists and sites/sub-sites will not show up.

Russ

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

LuckyLuke
Level 4
Dear collegue,

Perhaps you could try installing HF34. In my case, it did the trick, and solved the problems I had backing up a Shapepoint protal 2003 server farm.

Best greetings,

Luc vandromme

Beat_Zi_rjen
Level 3
Dear Luc
Thanks for your advice. I have just installed the HF34 and retried our Backup. Unfortunately without any success. We still have the same problem. It seems, that everything will be backuped completely without any errors in the joblog. But still no possibility to select a some items.  The strange thing is, that some items are shown and selectable.
Maybe I have to ask Symantec for an advice.

Beat

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
From your description, it seems like a problem with the content database.  When backing up to tape, at the end of the backup, the Remote agent enumerates the contents of the content DB to build the catalog and index of the GRT restore selections.  If there are problems with the documents within the DB, the restore selections may not be shown.  Supporting this is that you see the same results with another media server and backup to disk.  With B2D, the database image is backed up to the media server and the GRT restore selections are created on the fly by digging into this database image... So two different methods of enumerating contents and two media servers are showing you the same results.  This indicates a DB problem to me.  Finally, be sure that you are not looking for anything other than uploaded files/documents.  Lists and sites/sub-sites will not show up.

Russ