cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore job goes into queued state and won't come out.

Charles_Tripp
Level 3
Trying to restore a server using IDR, and I have this problem.  The IDR wants a tape that's been overwritten, so I'm trying to create a restore job on the server.  When I create the job, it goes into queued state and won't do anything else.  I've tried restarting BE, I've upgraded it to 7170, patched it, rebooted the server, and still nothing.  I've created a test backup to a folder, and when it starts, its status is "Ready; no idle devices are available".  If I try to cancel the restore, it just sits there.  Bouncing the BE services is the only way to release it.

There are no alerts, no events in the log indicating what the problem is, NOTHING.  If it's a hardware problem related to the tape drive, I would think that the test backup to a folder wouldn't be affected.  As far as I can tell, BE is just sitting there, waiting for me mutter some mystical incantation.

Any ideas?  From other posts, I've already check the accouts the services are running under and looked for any lock files on the test backup folder.  And as I said, I've patched this thing to the absolutely latest and greatest, 7170, w/hotfix 5.
1 REPLY 1

Charles_Tripp
Level 3
I got on the phone with Symantec.  The reason the job went into queued was that the BE server couldn't connect to the IDR program on the server I was trying to restore.  This despite the fact that I could ping the server.  May be a network problem on my end, but I tried a traditional restore and it's running right now.