cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore of Individual email messages in Exchange 2k3

Hawkeye_2
Level 2
Hello everyone,

I'm using BEWS 11d.7170 and need to restore about a 20 individual messages from a users mailbox.   I'm familiar with this process in v.10x but we've recently upgraded and it looks a little different.

I believe BE is setup correctly and the exchange backups look good - I can see the messages I want to restore.

Basically I'm concerned about what I've read concerning having to take the  Store offline and then manually remount it in order to do the restore.  Also that I will have to set aside enough space (somewhere) in order for BE to stage the entire database in order to restore individual messages.

Is this really necessary or am I totally stupid?  Any help or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JAF
2 REPLIES 2

PHOENIX_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

In BEWS 11d.7170 and you can very well to restore individual messages from a user's mailbox. And for that you have to select a checkbox labeled :
- Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups
 (Exchange 2000 or later; incremental backups supported with policy-based jobs only)

this option is available under Microsoft Exchange in backup job proerty dialog box. when you create a job you must select this option, as it allows individual or granular level restore. If the exchange backup is taken without this option not selected then during restore the mailbox store will not be expanded and you will not be able to restore mailbox or message individually.

BEWS when restoring, it first use stage the entire database on the target system and then it restore it to exchange. Therefore you have to keep enough space in order for BE to stage the entire database, it space can be  on either of your target system's drives.

And also you have to take the store offline by dismounting the mailbox then restore individual messages. After restore mount the mailbox store.
Alternate you can create a Recovery storage group and restore to it and then merge individual messages, this will cut off the problem of taking the  Store offline.

Is this really necessary or am I totally stupid?  Any help or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hawkeye_2
Level 2
Phoenix,

Thanks for the info.  I think I'll read up on creating a Recovery Storage Group so I won't be limited this way in the future. Thanks for the tip!
JAF