cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore of SQL Server fails

James_Allcock
Level 4
I'm trying to test a full restore of a system from scratch, formatting the hard drives and going from there. We don't have IDR, though I'm pushing for it, so I'm using the manual restore instructions.

This is on a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard with SP2.

I've managed to get 2 partitions back and the data on the 3rd. I'm having trouble restoring the Microsoft SQL Server part of the backup. It fails with the following error:

Restore 00055 -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

I've checked the server and the SQL Server is stopped. When I try to start it again it fails. Checking the Event Viewer shows that it couldn't locate the master DB. I found a support doc that mentioned renaming 2 files, master$4IDR and mastlog$4IDR as they're backups. I tried that but it then said it couldn't find the files for TryMe, another of our DBs.

So, I can't restore the files as SQL Server isn't running, but I can't run it without the files. I'm sure there's a simple setting for this somewhere but after 2 days of reading the manual & banging my head against a brick wall, I'm stuck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?
6 REPLIES 6

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

please make sure of the following:

1. Use "netstat -a" command to check if the NDMP port 10000 is free and not used by any other application.

2. Enable Restrict Anonymous support on backup server and on both the nodes of the cluster.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

Please make sure that all the Backup Exec services are running under Domain Admin account except for the remote agent which runs under 'Local System Account'.

Thank You,

Shweta

James_Allcock
Level 4
Hi Shweta,

I've tried that and it made no difference, I'm afraid. The line from the netstat command was:

TCP FRAN:10000 FRAN.notts-fire.gov.uk:0 LISTENING

but I don't know what program is listening on that port. I assume the Backup Exec Remote Agent, if that's the port is uses. Restores other than SQL work fine.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please check if the Port 10000 is open.

Backup EXECremote agent(RAWS)uses port 10000(NDMP) of the systems,where RAWS is installed. These errors would occur, if this port is used by another application .In order to check, do the following (on the media servers and the remote servers):

You can download the TCP View utility program, from the
Website "www.sysinternals.com". If you implement the utility program you can see the list of ports used by your system.

Thank you,

Shweta

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
From memory, once you've renamed the 2 IDR files, SQL should start up. As you say, any user databases won't be there, but SQL server itself should stay online.
Once you've got the system databases in place and SQL server running, you should be able to restore the master database using BE, and the automate master restore option.
Once the master database is restored, you should be able to restore the user databases.
Are you saying that when the IDR files are renamed, SQL starts then stops again immediately?

James_Allcock
Level 4
I've run TCP View and it says port 10000 is listening. The process is beremote.exe:1976 so it looks like that's OK.

James_Allcock
Level 4
Hywel,

I wouldn't even say the server starts then stops again, it looks like it never starts.

The errors in Event Viewer seem to suggest it's looking for the other DBs. Examples of a couple are:

17204 :
FCB::Open failed: Could not open device E:\SQL Data\MSSQL\data\TryMe_Data.MDF for virtual device number (VDN) 1.

17207 :
udopen: Operating system error 2(error not found) during the creation/opening of physical device E:\SQL Data\MSSQL\data\TryMe_Data.MDF.

Event Viewer has lots of Information entries as well, but these all relate to the missing DBs.