cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore to different database

Carl_Holzhauer
Level 3
I've got a backup of a database on tape that I need to restore in order to compare it to an existing database. I can't overwrite the current database because it is needed for production, so I want to restore the backup to a different database on the same server. I've been trying different ways to make this work and have been unsuccessful so far...can anyone help point me in the right direction? ThanksMessage was edited by:
Carl Holzhauer
4 REPLIES 4

Asim_Malik
Level 4
1.Take the backup of database
2.Go to restore
3. select that database
4. on left plane under restore window goto destinition > Microsoft sql redirection: check redirect MS sql sets. Give any name in restore to database field(dv by this name will be created n selected database will be copied on that)
5. on same left plane goto settings > Microsoft sql: check replace database or filegroups
6. Run the job.

Hope this help!

Carl_Holzhauer
Level 3
Perfect. Amazing

I must have looked at 10 or 15 posts on here where people had the same question, but they were never answered. Veritas should hire you to replace some of their techs. Thank you for the simple solution for what was turning out to be a very complex problem.

Thank you again

Afzal_Nizam
Level 2
Hi Asim

Yes you are right 100% but i want to know is there any way we can restote only specific table on same machine?

If any one can help me

we are using win2003 SQL 2000 and Backup Exec 10d Win MSQL server Agent

Thanks

Afzal Nizam

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
IIRC, MSSQL v6.0 allowed for single table restores, but as of v7, Microsoft removed that capability, so it's a Microsoft thing, not a BackupExec thing

You could restore to an alternate database, then copy the table back to the production database.Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam