cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring BE installation from backup

BGR
Level 3
My BE 10.1 Win2003 server crashed and was unrecovable from backup, at least at the OS level (how ironic.) I've reinstalled Win2003 and would like to recover my BE system from backup, so I installed 10.1 again, contructed a catalog from a prior backup and restored the SQL DB and Veritas folders to different location. After shutting down BE I replaced the SQL DB with the restored copy and the Veritas folder as well. After doing this I tried to start BE services, but the server service failed to start, reporting a 1627652097 error. In searching this forum I found a post indicating the machine GUID may need to be restored in the registry, so I pulled that from a BEdiag file I had saved from troubleshooting a previous problem and entered the 16 byte key into the registry. After doing so the Server service still does not start, reporting the same error.

All I am missing is the registry data from the former installation. Having the SQL DB and old Veritas folder is there any way I can restore my BE server without having to manually reconfigure all of my devices, job definitions, and settings? Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
every night at 0400 (by default) BackupExec creates a BEDB.BAK file

The way to recover BackupExec is to do a clean install of BackupExec, then run BEUTIL and select "Recover Configuration from a File" and point to the BAK file

Then cycle the services and you should be good to go 

(There is a little more work involved to recover B2D folders and their contents)

BGR
Level 3
I don't see this option on my BEutility menu. Which heading is it under? This is an option under 10.1?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I think I was remembering the v9.x version of BEUtil

BGR
Level 3
Thanks Ken, but that's not quite what I need. I don't have a corrupt db I need to repair. I am trying to restore an installation from backup, minus registry. Note that I did try dropping in the old SQL DB and then performing  a repair, but I still encounter the issue with the server not starting after doing so.

Can anyone else provide insight on how to go about this? Is it possible? Rebuiling all media sets, B2D folders, selections, and job definitions will be a royal pain in the you know what. I can't believe BE doesn't have a more elegant recover function considering I've got an intact DB and the former VERITAS folder. It's unfortunate BE relies so heaviliy on the registry when it has a DB it could recover data from.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
At Step 5 (figure 3)  choose the second option (drop and reload from backup) rather than the third (drop and reload from base)

BGR
Level 3
Ken, you're my hero! That indeed worked. For others needing to do the same, i.e. recover a system having a valid BEDB.bak file, here are the steps for 10d reiterated:

1) Install a clean copy of BE on the new system. No need to configure anything. Start services.
2) Copy your BEDB.bak file to the BE data subdirectory, e.g. C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data.
2) Run BEutility.exe from the BE directory. Select the Recover Database option under the Database Tasks heading.
3) Use the Drop and Reload from Backup option.
4) Complete the process. Your system should have most all of the configuration restored.

Thanks again Ken!

fosiul
Level 3
<Copy your BEDB.bak file to the BE data subdirectory>

Hi,
I am trying to renstall backup in to a reinstalled server ( like the way you are trying to do) but problem is
how i will find out BEDB.BAK file ?? where is this file ??

BGR
Level 3
BEDB.bak is stored in the data folder, either c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\data or c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\data depending on which version you are using.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
in the (drive letter):\Program Files\Veritas (or Symantec)\BackupExec\Data directory

fosiul
Level 3
Hi,
thanks for reply, I understand that BEDB.bak file store in data directory. And you said, i have to use this file for restoring from old tape to new server.
but my question is,  when you will install new backup exe in new server , it will create a  new BEDB.bak file , is not it ??
so how it will restore from old tap to new server by using new BEDB.bak file ??

or do you want me to copy BEDB.bak file from old server  and then paste it to new server then try to restore ??
AM i right ? or still i am missing something ??

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Install BackupExec

Find the last tape that included the BackupExec \Data directory

Inventory that tape, then restore BEDB.BAK

When you execute BEUTIL and select "Drop and Restore", it will basically copy the BAK file info into the current BEDB database

fosiul
Level 3
Hi Thanks Again.

Problem is I am new in veritas 10.d for SBS server

I can do backup in tape drive. i did not setup this software by my self. the Ex IT guy he setup this software before leaving this company.

Will you please tell me, how to do inventory new tape ?? if you can provide me some tutorial or knowledge base article, i would be great full, i am trying to contact with veritas for help, but they are not all that help full. they are charging money from me for help

what i want is , article about this, how to inventory a old tape to restore in a new server

hope you will help me.

i would really appreciate.
Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
for a stand-alone drive, put the tape in the drive, then from the devices tab, right click the drive and select Inventory

If you cannot find the bound copy of the Admin Guide that came with the purchase, you can download it at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279401.htm

fosiul
Level 3
Hi
Thanks for the link, I really appreciate. I asked Semantic customer service to send me a link where i will be able to download documentation. but they did not help me at all. instead they were advising me to pay them for this solution!!
anyway, thanks again.
after going office at Monday, i will try with this documentation and will follow your advise.
if any problem i will come back to you again .
Thanks man,