cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Exchange 2003 via BUE 12.5

Gonzouk
Level 4

Hello,

I am fine at restoring our Exchnage 2003 databases and mailboxes via GRT using BUE 12.5, however I have an old database and mailbox to restore into our old Exchange 2003 server that had a different administrative group and company name, how can I do this as the current Exchange 2003 is different?  

Do I need to build another Exchange server that is structured like the old server?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The long way around would be to create the Exchange server as it was, and then restore.

However, you are also able to restore directly into your current Exchange Information Store, if you so choose. It depends on how much work you want to do. Using Option #2 means sitting with old information in your Exchange IS which you then have to get rid of.

Why not bring up a second Exchange server with a blank Information Store. From BE itself, do a redirected restore of the mailboxes to that server.

You can either let BE try the restore itself, in which case be prepared for a bit of hair-tearing when it fails...doing the automated restore always failed in my case.

I prefered, and still do!, to restore by duplicating to disk first, and then restoring from disk. THis meant a copy of the IS to disk first...once on disk, restoring is a bit easier.

Use the article below if you don't know how to do it manually...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

THanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

The long way around would be to create the Exchange server as it was, and then restore.

However, you are also able to restore directly into your current Exchange Information Store, if you so choose. It depends on how much work you want to do. Using Option #2 means sitting with old information in your Exchange IS which you then have to get rid of.

Why not bring up a second Exchange server with a blank Information Store. From BE itself, do a redirected restore of the mailboxes to that server.

You can either let BE try the restore itself, in which case be prepared for a bit of hair-tearing when it fails...doing the automated restore always failed in my case.

I prefered, and still do!, to restore by duplicating to disk first, and then restoring from disk. THis meant a copy of the IS to disk first...once on disk, restoring is a bit easier.

Use the article below if you don't know how to do it manually...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

THanks!

Gonzouk
Level 4

And option 2 works when the Exchange has a different company name and administrative group?  Like it is a different company?

CraigV

...I'd be lying if I said yes/no...I haven't been in that situation.

BE has the ability to recreate the mailboxes, but from this perspective, I think it belongs in the Microsoft world! I'd suggest checking up on that with their forums...

Maybe someone here has tried it though...?