cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Exchange Information Store

Joel_Schmid
Level 2
I have a user that has all of his calendar entries deleted. I would like to first make a backup of the information store, then restore from a previous backup, retrieve the calendar entries. Export them to a pst. Then restore the latest backup.

I'm wondering if this is correct procedure or if there is a different way to go about the restore.

I do not have a backup of the individual mailbox.

Thanks,

Joel
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
If you're using Exchange 2003 rather than 2000 you can restore your Exchange backup to a Recovery Group, and then recover the required data from there without disrupting your live Exchange data.

If you're on 2000 I'd be wary of your solution purely because of how critical the data is, and the risk of something going wrong. Perhaps a safer solution would be to setup a machine as an Exchange server and then restore the data to that, so if the worst happens you can just wipe it and try again.

Joel_Schmid
Level 2
I have followed the steps in Document ID 264815 "Restoring Exchange 2003 data using the Recovery Storage Group", every step seems to work except when running Exmerge. I receive the following error

An error was encountered when retrieving the list of mailboxes homed in the selected databases on server "server"

Does the store in the recovery storage group need to be mounted?

Joel_Schmid
Level 2
I forgot to commit the logs after the last set. After doing this I was able to successfully mount the store and run exmerge.

Thanks

Joel Schmid