cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event ID 58053 Library Expansion Option Violation!

Sean_Malthouse
Level 2
I have just installed a new Tape Library on a Windows 2003 server. It has only 1 tape drive in the library and 1 standalone tape drive. These events are now showing in the event log. Event ID 58053 Library Expansion Option Violation.
From what I understand you can have as many standalone drives as you like as long as there is only 1 tape drive in the library. The old tape library that was replaced with the Sony one (which is by the way on the HCL) did not give this error. When I disable the standalone drive the event ID 58053 goes away.
Is this just a quirk or is it going to cause an issue. The reason I as is that since adding this library and updating backup exec ver 10 to SP1 we have had subsequent backups on a customer site fail with a media mount error after copying over 350GB of data.
4 REPLIES 4

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you referred to this technote:

Event ID 58053: "Library Expansion Option Violation!" is reported when starting Backup Exec
http://support.veritas.com/docs/252407

If not then kindly refer to it.

Regards

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Sean_Malthouse
Level 2
Yes I did see that technote but thanks for pointing it out. I indicated in my question that I was aware of these facts. What I'm asking is "is this an 'expected' event log error and if it is why am I 'only' seeing after replacing an existing robotic tape library and applying the SP1 update". F.Y.I the old library was cleaned up from backup exec and windows device manager prior to installing the new library. The only devices present in backup exec are the standalone tape drive and the sony tape library with the sony tape drive as a child device under it.

I reiterate:

EventID 58053 did not appear prior to upgrading the robotic library.

Would this event cause backups to fail with media mount errors?

Regards

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Sean!

Does the issue also occur if you put your BEWS in eval mode?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Hansi_Rau
Not applicable
Hello,

may I reply to this thread because my problem is nearly the same.

We first had only one LTO-Drive in our robotic library. Some weeks ago we installed a second one and also added the Library Extension Option -License. After some Firmware-Updates both drives are working fine.

But every hour occurs the eventlog error ID: 58053 Source: Backup Exec, Library Expansion Option Violation!.

What can I do?

Regards,
Hansi