cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Files to original location w/o File Redirection

David_Jennings
Level 5
I'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding the difference with the Junction Point selection of a Restore job. Our backup jobs are currently configured to back up files and directories by following junction points and our default restore selection is set to "restore junction points, files, and directories from backup media". What I've noticed is that if I leave these settings and run a restore a folder is created in the root of the drive instead of a single file or directory being restored to the path it was originally located. As a result I have to use file redirection to restore the file to its correct location.

Would changing the default restore setting to "preserve existing junction..." result in eliminating the need to redirect the files?

And should the preserve tree option be used if I'm only restoring a single file?
3 REPLIES 3

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
What version of Backup Exec are you using?
I'm using 10.1 Rev. 5269

Our backup and restore settings are the same as yours, ie. "RESTORE junction ..."
YES - tick "Preserve tree"

One other thing to check:
In the Restore Job Properties pane -
under 'Destination | File Redirection' - make sure 'Redirect file sets' is NOT ticked.

Our restores always put file(s) back in the correct place, without need for manual moves.

Cheers

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please update us on the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

David_Jennings
Level 5
The redirect file sets checkbox was unchecked for the restore jobs in question, but it had restored files to the root of my data drive instead of the correct file location.

I ran a couple of test restore jobs over the weekend, all of which seemed to run fine w/ no extra input from myself w/ respect to location so I believe the issue is resolved.

If anything new comes up I'll repost or update this ticket.