cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring SQL databases

Vdang
Level 4

How would I be able to restore my database along with the transcation log if somehow it got corrupted? Like I have mention before I am running two types of job, Full and Differental backup.

By adding the incremental transcation log backup would that created a two step process to  restore a database to the point of failure? If you can could provide in depth detail with on how this is actually done?

In addition, I have not have the need to restored a SQL database before, but I would like to know the process of doing so involving an incremental transaction log backup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The various SQL database restore options are given on page 824 of the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.

If you want to automate your restore and use your transaction log then use the To a point in time in the transaction log up to and including the specified time option.  

Otherwise, you can restore each backup set, including the transaction log, manually by using the To an individual backup set that I select from all available backup sets for this database option.  Note this when you use this option

If you restore multiple backup sets, select the Leave the database nonoperational; additional transaction logs or differential backups can be restored option in the Restore Wizard for each backup set except the last one. For the last backup set, select the Leave the database ready to use; additional transaction logs or differential backups cannot be restored option in the Restore Wizard.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The various SQL database restore options are given on page 824 of the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.

If you want to automate your restore and use your transaction log then use the To a point in time in the transaction log up to and including the specified time option.  

Otherwise, you can restore each backup set, including the transaction log, manually by using the To an individual backup set that I select from all available backup sets for this database option.  Note this when you use this option

If you restore multiple backup sets, select the Leave the database nonoperational; additional transaction logs or differential backups can be restored option in the Restore Wizard for each backup set except the last one. For the last backup set, select the Leave the database ready to use; additional transaction logs or differential backups cannot be restored option in the Restore Wizard.

Vdang
Level 4

Hello Pkh,

I did went through the Admin Guide as you suggested, but I have a few questions to ask.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears restoring a database and the transaction log is a two set process from what I got out of the guide.

Lastly I know this is a lot to ask, but do you have the step by step guide showing exactly how to restore a SQL database and the transcation log up to a point in time or up to a named transcation from within the backup exec 2012 application/console?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you have gone through the Admin Guide, it would be better for you to tell us what you think needs to be done to do a PIT restore and we can tell you whether it is right or wrong.

Vdang
Level 4

I just want you to know I am not very knowledge about SQL Database and have zero knowledge of restoring one. The Admin Guide from page 824-832 cover the board basic of how a SQL database and transcation can be restore using certain methods. I just want to explorer the possibility as well as the exact step of restoring a database using the information the Admin Guide provided.

However, after looking at the following forum dicussion https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2012-sql-server-2008, I realizing that the PIT would probably not work in our environment. Currently we have a SQL maintenance plan that backups up our databases along with the transcation logs just once everyday along with our BE backup job.

Therefore, what I would like to figure out is how to apply the transaction log in the database restoring process using an incremental log backup with BE 2012. The Admin Guide covers the restore of the master database from pages 827-830, but does not go into detail on how to apply the transaction log.

I hope what I am saying makes sense. If you need some more additional background please let me know.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is never a good practice to run two types of backups together.  You either use BE to do all your SQL backups, including log backups or use SQL maintenance.  I am not sure whether BE can restore a log backed up by SQL maintenance.

Vdang
Level 4

I am not sure what you mean by together, but currently we have a SQL maintenance backup that I believe runs at midnight and a BE backup job that runs around 4. So techincally they are not being backup at the same time or together.

The reason we are doing this is because we store the backup tapes offsite and if something happens it would require some time before Iron Mountain can deliver those tapes. So in the meantime we could use the SQL backup as an alternative solution to this issue.

In addition, I like have mention I have no knowledge or experience on restoring a database with a transaction log within BE or SQL. I know that you have recommended that I added an incremental job to our current BE jobs which I am consider of doing so, but I have been asked to verify the actual procedure to restore database and test the relability of this method. 

Therefore, I am seeking assistance "step-by-step guide" on how to properly restore a database with a transaction within BE 2012 using the incremental transcation logs backup method that you have propose.