cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring System State across network using remote agent

gary_smith_3
Level 4
Having problems restoring the system state. I have managed to get this working once but now after creating step-by-step notes it keeps failing with the error message 'The media server was unable to connect to Remote machine CHT-SRVR1. The macine could not be found on the network. The media server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation. Unable to attach to \\cht-srvr1\system?state. V-79-57344-33898 - The resource could not be restored because an error occured while connecting to the backupexec for windows servers remote agent. make sure the remote agent is installed on the target computer and is running.
Under the job completion status it is basically giving a resource error.
The step taken so far are:
loaded win2000 with same server name, copied the rant32 folder from the main server to the remote server and ran the setupaa.cmd, shared the C and D volumes on the remote server. i have tried changing the usernames that backup exec uses under 'resource credentials' to the domain administrator account and a blank administrator account (with and without a PW). I can restore C and D using the blank admin account or the domain admin account.
i have tried restoring the system state in 'directory services mode' (F8 on boot) and also in a normal startup environment.
any ideas would be great.
14 REPLIES 14

Darren_Rockach
Level 4
Try applying this patch
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-012.mspx or an alternative is to restore the system state a second time.

gary_smith_3
Level 4
hex error 0xa000846b

gary_smith_3
Level 4
apply to the remote server or the main one?

gary_smith_3
Level 4
apply to the remote server or the main one?

gary_smith_3
Level 4
install to the remote server or the main one with veritas and tape drive on?

gary_smith_3
Level 4

gary_smith_3
Level 4

gary_smith_3
Level 4
whoops, multiple posts!!!! was getting errors on replying to post, can a moderator delete these?

Darren_Rockach
Level 4
The target server (the one that needs the system state restoring).

gary_smith_3
Level 4
which server? main or remote?

gary_smith_3
Level 4
Its fixed now. It has a dual NIC and it was obtaining an ip from the main server, i changed the IP of the 1 active NIC connection (only using 1 cable) to the correct IP ignoring the duplicate IP message and it is now restoring. fingers crossed.

gary_smith_3
Level 4
finally managed to restore the data to the remote server by changing the network settings. now, however, i have a problem with DNS on the remote server with even id's 4015, basically it is saying that active directory isnt functioning properly. the main server can function fine, AD works ok, the remote, restored box cant access AD or sites and services, i have tried restoring on many occasions now!!!!! also event 1000 'unable to determine computer name!!
any ideas?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting this error while backing or restoring exchange server?

Please elaborate the issue to further troubleshoot it.

Thank you & regards,

gary_smith_3
Level 4
hi,

the servers are ok now, changed the restore procedure and unticked the sysvol option.