cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring differential backup after a full restore on BE2012

martinfe33
Level 2

Hi all,

If someone can help me to understand it please.

I have restored a server after a problem with raid disks. Information was about 7 TB and was full restored to date 1th of November. Now i am trying to restore the last differential of 200 GB. I go to Restore - Files and Folders - Select the date of the Diferential - Select the folders (several trees with thousands directories). When i Finish the wizard it ask me all the full backup tapes plus the differential tape. No problem they all are on the loader. I run the Restore and it checks all the directories on the trees one by one.

It is getting too much time for this. It was only 200 GB and after hours it had only checked about 3500 dirs.

Am i doing something wrong??

Any help about this??

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Ok so Backup Exec 2012 and later have concepts of:

1) A Point in time restore - where you select from the differential (or incremental) set and the view you are selecting what to restore from displays the backup as if it was a full, then when the restore runs, Backup Exec uses all the backup sets from the chain in the required order and restores them for you - so no longer any need to restore the full first and then create further restore job(s) for the differential (or incrementals) to immediately follow. (Note:  all of the backup media for the chain must be online for the restore to work) From your description you have not realized we have made things easier for you and you have tried to perform the method that would have been needed before we introduced  the more automated ability

2) A restore from a backup set- which only displays and restores the content of that specific backup and no longer rebuilds the chain of differential (or incrementals) back to the full.

Unfortunately I think option 2 above may not have been available in Backup Exec 2012 and was introduced in either BE 2014 or 15, and you would need this option if you find a reason to not want to use the automatic assembly of the differential (or incremental) chain - as such if you are using BE 2012 and want to be able to use both Option 1 and Option 2 - you will need to update to a newer BE version.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Ok so Backup Exec 2012 and later have concepts of:

1) A Point in time restore - where you select from the differential (or incremental) set and the view you are selecting what to restore from displays the backup as if it was a full, then when the restore runs, Backup Exec uses all the backup sets from the chain in the required order and restores them for you - so no longer any need to restore the full first and then create further restore job(s) for the differential (or incrementals) to immediately follow. (Note:  all of the backup media for the chain must be online for the restore to work) From your description you have not realized we have made things easier for you and you have tried to perform the method that would have been needed before we introduced  the more automated ability

2) A restore from a backup set- which only displays and restores the content of that specific backup and no longer rebuilds the chain of differential (or incrementals) back to the full.

Unfortunately I think option 2 above may not have been available in Backup Exec 2012 and was introduced in either BE 2014 or 15, and you would need this option if you find a reason to not want to use the automatic assembly of the differential (or incremental) chain - as such if you are using BE 2012 and want to be able to use both Option 1 and Option 2 - you will need to update to a newer BE version.

Thanks a lot for your Support Colin,

I have finished restoring the tape on and old server with Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 version. I knew this version could do that way. 

I have restored all the content on the tape and later launched a sync updating the new data.

Regards,