cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring entire system to a new hard drive gives error "No bootable devices"

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
Hello,

I used backup exec 11d to backup an entire laptop including system state.
windows xp pro
120 gb hard drive.

I used a restore job to restore the entire backup including system state to a 80gb hard drive.

I exchanged the hard drives and when I try to boot, it refuses to with the error "no bootable devices"

I see that the 80 gb hard drive is in fact detected?

please advise?

Does the difference in size have anything to do with it? any steps I can take to make this a bootable drive?
11 REPLIES 11

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
XP, x64, and 2003 require a authoritative installation.   You just can't restore the tape.   You need to reinstall the OS, service pack it to tape backup level,  authoritative restore the system state, restore the files.   Look up on the support site the directions for a authoritative restore of XP. 

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
thank you sir. I will definitely give that a try.

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
Michael,

I searched the site for "Authoratative Restore" and "Authoratative Restore xp" but could not find the article.

Would I be incorrect to assume that I should install the OS, install the backupexec agent, then do a full restore(overwriting all data) over the network to the machine w/ new OS?

Thanks!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The term "authoritative restore" is used for recovering domain controllers. What you want is a remote disaster recovery. See http://www.backupexecfaq.com/faq/getting-started/performing-a-remote-disaster-recovery.html
It's in the Administrator's Guide, but the basic process is (as mentioned), reinstall OS from scratch, apply service pack to same level as before, install remote agent, restore backup.

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
thank you again for your time! cheers

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
hrmm according to the instructions.. I shouldnt join it to the domain..when i dont, i cant browse to is using 11d. It seems the computer name never dissappeared from the list of computers either..

if i join the domain (new computer has same name)

it will not even allow me to install a remote agent even with the admin username/pw.

any ideas?

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
ok.. i realized it could not connect because of the default firewall setting..

however, I cant seem to get it to recognize the computer if it is not joined to the domain?

would it be a terrible decision to just update and join it to the domain prior to the full restore?

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
copying the files from RAWS32 and installing directly on the new machine seemed to do it.

I followed all the instructions, didnt join the domain, same computer name, full restore(overwrite), reboot.

However, upon rebooting...i find the computer still has not joined the domain.. If I try to run outlook, it says that the application is not installed.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
System-Computer name

You join the domain from here.   If your server is a active domain controller, you should join the domain.   If its a workgroup, make sure all computers are in the same workgroup, same subnet and IP range.

Howard_Chiu
Level 4
joining the domain is a minor issue.. and all the data seems to be intact..

but I guess the real question is why are a lot of the applications inoperable? (office, adobe acrobat, msn messenger) Only skype seemed to escape unscathed.

Also, why are the profiles /users not setup as they were when backing up the entire machine? are backups of profiles /apps not supported? The data is there for the user profile as well as the directory structure. All the apps seem to have been restored but do not work.

I noticed when I restored the OS, it asked me to reactivate windows again...

any ideas?

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Is your laptop in a domain, workgroup or single laptop?  To join a domain requires the administrator login for the domain to join it.  

If the laptop is the remote, you will need to be in the domain and have remote agent installed.   You will need to use the administrator account on the laptop to log into the remote agent to backup the system state and file system.

You can reactivate XP Pro with no issues.   Vista has a limit on activations.