cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring files to QNAP

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Hi,

I'm getting strange errors when trying to do a restore from tape to a QNAP.

We're backing up our Vm's to the QNAP using VEEAM and then taking a weekly backup of the QNAP using BAckup exec 2010.

All of the above works fine. However I've just come to do our first test restore from tape and on trying to restore to a separate folder on the QNAp (with exactly the same permissions as the fodler that is being backed up) I am geting an error saying that the directory or file was not found.

Both the folder that the backup is from and the folder i'm trying to write to are added as custom selections in the format \\QNAP\restoretest

The job does get as far as creating the folder into which the restore should placed so I don't think it's a permissions thing.

I'm a bit stumped as to what to try next though...

Does anyone have a similar setup / advice?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Just for testing purpose try to redirect restore from tape to local drive and see if the files are getting restored there.

Thanks,

-Sush...

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Ah good thinking! Yep that works... It must be a QNAP permissions thing then.

I'll log a call with them.. Am i right in thinking that there is no agent for a QNAP device (ours is a TS-859U+).

Thanks

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No. There is no agent for QNAP device if you are backing the shares.

Thanks,

-Sush...

steelite_Matt
Level 4

Thanks, I take it it should work by adding the share path (\\qnap\sharename) as a custom selection then?

TMT_Tony
Level 2

No, I think what he meant is that there's no remote agent for QNAP and therefore you cannot restore directly to QNAP shares.  You can, however, create an iSCSI target / LUN on the QNAP, connect to this target from another server and then restore your files to the disk created on that server.  Then you could copy the restored data from that server to the network shares on the QNAP.  Does this suck?  Yes.

If you're running Backup Exec 2012 R1 or before, you can try to install the Remote Agent for Linux Servers on the QNAP.  I understand that it worked for BE 2010 R1 and certain QNAP servers / f/w versions.

Join me in asking Symantec for a remote agent for the QNAP!