cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from Exchange 2003

brehms
Level 3
I have Backup Exec 11d v7170 w/sp1, HF 16-19, 21-24, 27 installed. and all agents updated.
I can backup Exchange with no problem.

But when I try to restore a single email from a mailbox...BE try's to pre-stage my entire 260GB Information store.
Is there anyway to quickly restore emails? Is there a option somewhere I am missing?

Thanks.

Scott
5 REPLIES 5

Defense_BackUps
Level 4
Are you backing up just the Information store?  Are you doing a mailbox back up also? What happens when you high light the piece of

Most work places I work at backup just the information store due to Exchange keeping deleted mail for a time period on the Exchange Server (Usually 30 days).

brehms
Level 3
In my global options, I have the following selected:
Enable the restore of individual messages and folders from Information Store backups.
Enable legacy Mailbox support
Enable Single Instance backup for message attachments
Backup the information used for automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes.

In the local job options, I have the following selected:
Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from the Information Store backups.
Enable Single instance backup for message attachments.
------------------------------------

In my restore job, I can expand the information store and navigate to an individual email.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
"But when I try to restore a single email from a mailbox...BE try's to pre-stage my entire 260GB Information store."

This is by design when restoring items from tape.  The restore has to stage the entire information store to disk so that Backup Exec can pull the information you are trying to restore out of the store.

"Is there anyway to quickly restore emails?"
Backup to disk instead of tape. Smiley Happy

brehms
Level 3
All my backups go to a Virtual Tape Library, that has 20TB of disk space, and emulates tape drives.
Whats funny is that restores worked just fine before your engineers rebuilt the Exchange backup portion.
Now essentially, your telling me that my $87k Virtual Tape Library is worthless.
You should remove it from your HCL, so that other users dont waste $87k.

Oh yeah, your Exchange B2D, and B2D2T was JUST fixed not that long ago, after months of people complaining that it was broken. Symantec is turning into Microsoft, whereas you Beta test your software on your actual clients, rather then thoroughly testing it yourself. That's an excellent QA program you guys have.

@blipsey wrote:
This is by design when restoring items from tape.  The restore has to stage the entire information store to disk so that Backup Exec can pull the information you are trying to restore out of the store.

A better design would be to put this new design feature into the global or local options. And let the users decide.

Now I get to decide wether or not to waste $87k and wipe out my VTL, or the $45k we spent for Backup Exec including all the licensing options, and move to a different backup program.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
While I can't say I agree or disagree with most of your comments, I did forget to mention some things.

1.  You can disable this, but you will not be able to restore individual items from the information store.  Just uncheck the box for "enable restore of individual items..." and the agent will revert back to just information store backups such as in 10d.

2. This is documented in the Admins guide on page 1231