cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring my mailbox - Access denied!

Level 3
Reading around the forums I still haven't found the solution..... but had a few ideas!

Running SBS 2000, had to do a fresh install (don't ask!) and then restore the mailboxes/data from the backup tape. All worked, apart from 2 mailboxes!?! - which got access denied.... one of which was mine!

So I've been trying in vain since to restore mine... a couple of questions to clarify:

1. Do I have to unmount the mailbox store to do a restore (I didn't need to for the rest of the mailboxes?)
2. When re-installing the server, the password for the administrator account is now different.... should this matter? The administrator account was done to make the original backup, so maybe there's a clash? Does the backup store the username/password of the user who did the backup to match against the restore account?

Here's some of the xml from the restore

-

-

======================================================================
Job server: DTECH-SERVER
Job name: Restore 0016
Job started: Monday, 9 May 2005 at 4:17:25 p.m.
Job type: Restore
Job Log: BEX00022.xml

-
Drive and media information from media mount:
Drive Name: SONY 1
Media Label: Backup Tape 3
Media GUID: {A398DB64-A9C9-4D3B-A3D6-814D58E0E07D}
Overwrite Protected Until: 31/12/9999 12:00:00 a.m.
Appendable Until: 1/01/1900 12:00:00 a.m.

-
Job Operation - Restore
Network control connection is established between 127.0.0.1:4223 <--> 127.0.0.1:10000
Network data connection is established between 127.0.0.1:4235 <--> 127.0.0.1:4236
-
\\DTECH-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
Restoring data to \\DTECH-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes .
Storage Media #1: " Media created 22/04/2005 10:00:09 p.m. " Backup performed on 4/05/2005 at 8:09 p.m. Backup set #20: " Full Backup Thrusday Night "
Restore started on 9/05/2005 at 4:19:07 p.m..
Access denied - unable to restore directory Robert Davies .
Access denied - unable to restore directory Robert Davies Common Views.
Access denied - unable to restore file For Follow Up.

........... there's lots like this - same error every time! Then the end portion:

Restore completed on 9/05/2005 at 4:52:15 p.m..
-
2784 items were skipped.
Processed 0 bytes in 33 minutes and 6 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.000 MB/min

----------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Job ended: Monday, 9 May 2005 at 4:53:41 p.m.
Job completion status: Failed
Final error code: a0008488 HEX
Final error description: Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

--------------------

Sorry for my brief (probably far too brief) explanation. If there's any other info you need, then please feel free to ask. I don't have much experience with the product, other than the basics, so please explain in detail and excuse my ignorance!!!

Any ideas? All help greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Rob.
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
DO NOT use brick level restores in a Disaster Recovery situation. Do the stores restore only

Level 3
Hi Ken,

I'm sorry, I don't understand the difference between Brick level etc...

After the recovery, all the other mailboxes came back... except for mine and another.... so now I'm just trying to do mine.

Sorry, I'm a little new to the restoring process - I was hoping for a 'load the tape' and hit go - type of solution, but realise there's a helluva lot more to it than that!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

there's a helluva lot more to it than that!

Yeah

maybe I mis-understood your post. I thought that you were doing individual mailbox restores as part of the rebuild. If you were not, forget what I said earlier.

If you were indeed trying to restore each mailbox, then you need to just do a complete data store restore.

Level 3
Hi Ken,

Originally, I did a complete resotre of all exchange mailboxes and info store etc.... which brought back everyones mailbox, apart from 2..... which did fail with the Access Denied error... weird.

So now I'm trying to restore the two missing mailboxes, from the top-level Exchange-Mailboxes->Rob level.... but still get the Access Denied message...

By a 'complete data store' restore, which 'level' are you talking about?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge with these terms!!!

Rob.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I meant the complete data and info stores (for v5.5 ) of the data store (for Ex2000). Sounds like you've already done that though.

But if you were doing a full stores restore, I don;t see how you could get an access denied on separate mailboxes.

Level 3
Hi Ken,

Yes, that's the weird thing! Any ideas who I can ask / email now?

Has supprort for 9.0 finished now? Can I upgrade to 9.1 for free? Does 9.1 have support?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes, v9.1 is a free upgrade for v9.0 users.

But the support is the same as for 9.0 This forum, unless you want to pay to open an incident with Veritas.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi Rob,
Click on the restore tab> Exchange > put a check mark in the box for "automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes". This will automatically create the user account and the related mailbox as well.

Also check following document:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242079.htm
Note: The above TechNote also applies to Backup Exec v9.0

Make sure that backup exec service account has domain admin and local admin rights as well as exchange full admin rights.

If the User Name and Mailbox exists then please reconfigure a new mailbox restore job and redirect the contents to anothermailbox or you can also specify its own name.
This option is available in the 'Destination | Exchange Redirection | Redirect Exchange Sets | Restore to mailbox' in the properties of the restore job.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.